Aberystwyth online
Image: Wikimedia commons / Tanya Dedyukhina

Aberystwyth University will resume in-person teaching after it was suspended due to Covid-19

Aberystwyth University has announced that some in-person teaching will resume following a small Covid-19 outbreak.

The university originally announced on 27 September that all teaching would be moved online, due to a rise in cases in the surrounding area of Ceredigion and 12 students testing positive.

The university’s 8,500 students take up a third of the town’s population, and are therefore a vital part of the local economy. The influx of students returning to their studies, especially in such a small town, has caused concern and many suspect a rise in Covid-19 cases.

Initially, the university decision was due to “uncertainty” on the spread of the virus. However, Dr Giri Shankar, from Public Health Wales, did not list Ceredigion as an “area of concern”.

Aberystwyth University’s vice-chancellor Elizabeth Treasure said the return of in-person teaching is “excellent news for us and our students”.

“We will continue to ensure that the safety of our students, staff and the wider community is our priority, and we’re very grateful for the way local, regional and national partners have worked swiftly with us to recognise that the best thing for our students to be doing right now is taking a full part in their learning activities.”

“We recognise this is a difficult and unprecedented time for students, and we have a range of support services available to help them,” she added.

I’m happy to get some normality back, but I’m not too confident about going in as the cases are higher now than what they were when lectures were originally put online

– Lowri Haycock

“We need restraint and restrictions on social activity in particular – every student must remain with their own student household and not mix with other households in a social setting.”

Lowri Haycock, a third-year Aberystwyth University student, commented: “I’m happy to get some normality back, but I’m not too confident about going in as the cases are higher now than what they were when lectures were originally put online. I’m a bit apprehensive about the coming few months.”