Image: Wikimedia Commons / Struway
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Struway

BREAKING: Coventry City promoted to the Championship

After a majority of clubs in League One voted to curtail the 2019-20 season, Coventry City have been promoted to the Championship. Earlier today, clubs voted overwhelmingly to approve the EFL Board’s proposals to determine final league standings based on unweighted points-per-game (PPG).

Coventry City will be joined in the Championship by Rotherham United, who were also awarded automatic promotion. The Sky Blues’ promotion to the Championship was widely unexpected, with the Mark Robins’ side ranked among the outsiders to make the Playoffs before the start of the season. Coventry’s promotion is their second in three years under Robins, returning to the Championship for the first time since 2011-2012.

A Coventry City club statement said: “Our fans deserve this, our players deserve this, our staff deserve this, our Football Club deserves this.”

The challenges facing the League from COVID-19 are unprecedented

– Rick Parry

The EFL’s ruling states that the Playoffs will be held despite the season’s curtailment, meaning that Oxford United, Portsmouth, Wycombe Wanderers and Fleetwood Town enter the post-season. Wycombe Wanderers had sat outside of the Play-Off places at the time of the league’s suspension, but rise five places into third as a result of their superior PPG record.

Tranmere Rovers, Southend United and Bolton Wanderers have been relegated to League Two.

EFL Chair, Rick Parry said: “Today’s outcome ensures that the League and its Clubs remains as faithful as possible to the previously agreed Regulations and that there is consistency in the approach adopted across the EFL in all divisions if required.

“It is clear that the challenges facing the League from the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic are unprecedented and I thank the contribution of EFL Clubs in making this important determination.”

Stevenage are the only team to be relegated from the Football League

In League Two, Swindon Town are promoted as champions, while Plymouth Argyle and Crewe Alexandra have also been promoted automatically. Exeter City, Cheltenham Town, Colchester United and Northampton Town will contest the League Two Play-Offs.

Due to ongoing disciplinary matters involving Macclesfield Town, the EFL has not confirmed which team will be relegated from League Two. Either Macclesfield Town or Stevenage will be relegated to the National League following the resolution of disciplinary proceedings.

Only one club will be relegated from the Football League to compensate for the liquidation of Bury FC earlier this year, bringing the English Football League back up to its quota of 72 clubs.

The Premier League remains committed to completing the 2019-20 season

The EFL has confirmed that the 2019-20 Play-Offs will go ahead under the competition’s regular format. League Two Play-Off semi-final fixtures will be played on 18 and 22 June, with the final taking place at Wembley Stadium on 29 June. The schedule for the League One Play-Offs is to be determined.

Premier League and Championship clubs remain committed to completing the 2019/20 season, with play set to resume later this month.

League Two Play-Off Schedule:

Thursday 18th June

Colchester United v Exeter City – 5.15pm

Northampton Town v Cheltenham Town – 7.45pm

Monday 22nd June

Exeter City v Colchester United – 5.15pm

Cheltenham Town v Northampton Town – 8.00pm

Final (Wembley Stadium)

Monday 29th June 7.30pm