apply early
Image: Flickr / Marco Verch

Student Loans Company urges students to apply early

Students in England are being urged to start their student finance applications for the upcoming academic year.

The Student Loans Company (SLC) are encouraging students to apply to make sure that their finances are set up for the academic year 2020 to 2021.

The SLC also assured that their application service will remain open for all students. As part of their response to the COVID-19 pandemic, help is available to all students when applying for student finance.

As of this week, SLC is in touch with returning students to remind them to reapply for their next year’s student finance. 

For returning students, SLC has urged them to reapply before June 19 to avoid complications and delay.

New students have been asked to submit their applications before 22 May 2020. Incoming students also do not need a confirmed place on a course to apply and can use their first choice of course. Updates can be applied to their application if the status of it changes.

The message is still that students should get their applications in ASAP to ensure that their student finance is in place for the new academic year

– Derek Ross

Derek Ross, SLC’s Executive Director of Operations, encouraged students who are going to university this autumn to prioritise making applications. He recognised that students have much to consider at the moment, yet it is still important for students to apply. 

He said: “SLC has worked hard to ensure the continuity of the application service throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and the message is still that students should get their applications in ASAP to ensure that their student finance is in place for the new academic year.”

Student Finance England has a wealth of resources online to help students with their applications online. The online student community forum, the student room and a dedicated section on the UCAS website can also be of use to students.

SLC stated that all phone lines will be open again on Monday for students, though they warned there may be traffic.

The best way to keep up to date is online. Most queries can be answered online and make the process easier for both students and those supporting their applications.

Students can follow SFE on Facebook and Twitter or through YouTube to keep up to date with the latest alerts affecting student finance.

Students can find out how to apply, as well as support for parents and partners who are supporting a student’s application here: https://studentfinance.campaign.gov.uk/.