Image: The Boar
Image: The Boar

Hazell leads Coventry to a historic Women’s Futsal Varsity win

Warwick Sports and Wellness Hub’s opening fixture wasn’t just a high-intensity game of Futsal; it proved how important BUCS form is. Coventry’s perfect 10-0 season, albeit several divisions below Warwick, got even sweeter on Friday afternoon, as the Blues secured their first ever Varsity win in Women’s Futsal.

Coventry were pressing from the first whistle, but Warwick contained their efforts well in the early stages. They maintained a 2-2 square, isolating Coventry’s wingers, Ana Da Costa and Maria Monteiro. Within ten minutes, though, Sarah Hazell – initially from left back – was causing problems for Warwick.

After Daisy Scott’s quick goal, it looked like Warwick could fly to another dominant Futsal win

Nonetheless, Warwick would open the scoring. Kajal Malhotra broke free on the right flank, shooting past the hitherto faultless Adriana Caboz. 1-0 to Warwick at the break.

After Daisy Scott’s quick goal, it looked like Warwick could fly to another dominant Futsal win. Sarah Hazell, however, had other plans. Her opening goal gave the visitors momentum after the break, and through a thundering set piece into the top right corner, Coventry were level. 

Alongside Hazell, Catarina Seixas unnerved Warwick’s Maggie Breyer, the home side’s crucial component in defence. The Hazell-Seixas link-up would subsequently define Coventry’s second half, and although Pip Dale’s impressive goal on the turn got Warwick back in front, it was Coventry who ran out victorious.

Full-time meant rapturous celebrations from Coventry’s fans

Kelsey Smith’s incredible shot from her own half levelled the play, only for Sarah Hazell to convert the game’s lone penalty kick, and it was too late for Warwick to recover. Full-time meant rapturous celebrations from Coventry’s fans, with the focus on Hazell’s well-deserved hattrick.

For Warwick, it’s a bitter pill to swallow. For Coventry, it’s the cherry on the top of an historic season, and only four years after being blitzed 14-0 by Warwick in the same fixture, this game serves as proof of just how far this young Futsal team has come.