Best student cities

The best student cities around the world

Do you want to study abroad, but aren’t sure which country or city to go to? Choosing the ideal destination for your year abroad can be difficult, but if you’re looking for a great student experience, a quick glance at the QS 2017 top 10 student cities could make your choice just that little bit easier.

10. Buenos Aires
Number ten on the list is the Argentinian capital. Known for its outstanding cultural life and party scene, there will never be a dull moment to spare! It offers clubs such as the Jet Lounge, with an open air dance floor and breathtaking views of the yachts on the Rio de Plata that attract wealthy celebrities from all around the world. More affordable alternatives include the Niceto Club, which is widely recognised for its live music. If you’re looking for a great nightlife coupled with a vibrant arts and music scene, then Buenos Aires is the way to go!

9. Brno
Not far behind is the Czech City of Brno, offering more of a cultural outlook to your time abroad, away from the party scene. Home to various museums, theatres and galleries, including the famous Brno Exhibition Centre, makes it an ideal destination for budding artists and art history students. Furthermore, the city is a melting pot of traditional Moravian culture and modern influences, and with 13 different universities, it’s easy to meet like-minded students.

8. Berlin
Another cultural hub is the city of Berlin, considered to be one of the trendiest cities in Germany. It owes its name to both its innovative tech start-up scene and diverse culture. For instance, every February the city hosts the Berlinale film festival, one of the largest film festivals in Europe, offering a showcase of talent and art. This, coupled with the low costs of living, makes Berlin ideal for film-interested students on a budget.

7. Amsterdam
Number seven on the list is Amsterdam, known for its student friendly atmosphere and history. As a student in Amsterdam, you can enjoy the city’s rich arts scene by exploring the works of great artists in the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum. You can also breathe in the Dutch culture by cycling along the city’s picturesque canals or trying its unique cuisine, such as the ‘broodje haring’ (raw herring in a roll).

6. Stockholm
Next is Stockholm, known for its beautiful Nordic architecture and high standard of living, and offering a range of eateries and scenic monuments. Although it is also one of the more expensive student cities on the list, it might be worth it if you’re an EU student because EU students don’t have to pay tuition fees in Sweden. Students studying at the prestigious Karolinska Institute are also exceptions.

5. Vienna
Vienna makes the top five of the list, as the birthplace of the Waltz and home to classical composers including Mozart, Haydn, Schubert and Brahms, Vienna is often called the City of Music. Few people know that the historic capital also hosts the Spanish Riding School’s Lipizzaner Stallions, one of the most prestigious riding schools for classical dressage. So if you’re a fan of music or horseback riding, then Vienna would be the place to go!

4. Prague
Next is a city not widely known among international students, but is still a popular tourist destination. Prague is renowned for its impressive architecture, cheap beer and its stunning castle. It ranks 5th for student experience and has one of the lowest living expenses in Europe.

3. Melbourne
If you’re not afraid of going a little further away from home, Australia’s cultural capital, Melbourne, could be the place for you. It combines beautiful beaches and sunshine with a host of events in the entertainment industry. Additionally, it ranks highly in terms of diversity in the student population, with around 30% of the students being international.

2. Munich
The city of Munich is second on the list. Highly renowned for its distinctive Bavarian feel, which is perhaps best experienced at the annual Oktoberfest, a celebration marked by beer, pretzels and Lederhosen, it is ideal for the extrovert student. The city’s low unemployment rate also makes it a great location for graduate prospects and getting a career away from home.

1. Montreal
At the top of the list sits the city of Montreal. Regularly listed as one of the best cities for its quality of life, Montreal is popular among students worldwide. Its diverse ethos, its thriving media industry, and its appealing boulevards add to its vibrant culture. If you fancy brushing up on your secondary school French and want to experience a diverse music and arts scene, you should consider Canada’s cultural capital.