Is it worth going on Spring Break?

As the Easter break approaches and deadlines loom, a bit of escapism might be just what the doctor ordered. With Europe being so readily accessible, why not take some time to relax and visit one of my top seven city break destinations?

Paris

Taking just under two and a half hours from London on the Eurostar, Paris is an easily accessible location. Not only this, but there are endless amounts to do. The Louvre displays many great masterpieces for art lovers, whilst architectural finesse is shown off at the iconic Eiffel Tower, and The Champs-Elysées provides the perfect place for some high-end retail therapy. Paris is a classic city break destination, but there is a reason why it is so popular!

Brussels

Not as commonly visited as Paris, but it too can be reached via the Eurostar in even less time! Exquisite chocolatiers can be found around every corner, so what’s not to love? Be sure not to miss the Grand Place being illuminated at night; it is simply spectacular.

Reykjavik

If you have a little more cash to splash this Easter, then Reykjavik is the place for you. Although a little pricey, it is worth it. With an infinite reserve of natural beauty, you will be lost for words! Take a trip to the Blue Lagoon, and experience Iceland’s most famous volcanic thermal pool, or wonder at the natural phenomenon that is the Northern Lights (best viewed until mid-April).

Edinburgh

For something a little bit closer to home, Edinburgh is a must-see. Take a hike up Arthur’s Seat to enjoy a breath-taking panoramic view. Visit Edinburgh Castle for some Scottish culture. Or tuck into some weirdly delicious haggis; a national delicacy!

Rome

A place bursting with magnificent ruins intertwined with ancient history, Rome is bucket-list worthy! Every sense will be satisfied; the artistic masterpieces by Michelangelo, that adorn the Sistine Chapel, will be a pleasure for your eyes. The sweet sound of trickling water from the Trevi fountain will be music to your ears. Not to mention the plethora of mouth-watering Italian dishes – your taste buds will be dancing!

Barcelona

With the flights being ever so cheap this Spring, it would be wrong not to go! This location provides the perfect mix between beach holiday and culture. The city centre has much to offer, with the renowned La Sagrada Familia being a must-see, and the charming narrow streets of the Gothic quarter being home to some delicious tapas restaurants; ideal for enjoying some Spanish cuisine! Only 30 minutes away, vast expanses of white sand and crystal clear water can be found for those seeking some relaxation. 

Krakow

Interlocked with a much darker past, as the remnants of World War Two remain, a trip to Krakow will be truly humbling. A visit to the Auschwitz-Birkenau memorial and museum is a must, to pay respects to those who lost their lives in a horrific part of history. Moreover, the centre of Krakow has many beauties to behold, with the Wawel Castle and St Mary’s Basilica being two spectacles not to be missed. Although a more uncommon choice for a city break destination, Krakow has much to offer in ways many other places don’t.

These are my top picks for a city break destination this Spring. However, Europe has much to offer, with hundreds of beautiful cities to visit, both in the U.K. and further afield. So, pack your suitcase and get going, before the hard work of summer term begins!