Adam Silver, the NBA and the stigma surrounding mental health

At the annual Sloane Sports Conference in Boston at the beginning of March, the NBA commissioner Adam Silver touched on some of the challenges the league is facing. He sat down for a 1-on-1 interview with popular sports journalist Bill Simmons and talked about a variety of issues, ranging from tampering to the ‘one and done’ rule. Most striking, however, was the Commissioner’s damning observation on the status of mental health in the league.

“We are living in a time of anxiety,” Silver said, “I think it’s a direct result of social media. A lot of players are unhappy”. Silver seemed genuinely concerned with the mental health status of the league and added that “some of these players come from difficult circumstances and some of them are amazingly isolated”. He recalled a conversation he had with a player who described to him how lonely life on the road is and how it has directly impacted his mental health.

Both Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan opened up about their battle with anxiety and depression

This is not the first time that mental health has become a topic in the NBA. Both Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan opened up about their battle with anxiety and depression. It highlighted how pressure filled the job of the elite athlete is, having to perform on a nightly basis no matter what. Interestingly, the NBA is one of the more progressive sports leagues when it comes to mental health support. Most teams have their own psychiatrist and the Players Union also offers independent counselling for the players.

However, as Adam Silver has observed, this has not really helped the players, who appear to be struggling more than ever. The introduction of social media seems to have a lot to do with this. NBA stars are now more accessible than ever to the fans. On the one hand, it has given them their own voice and empowered them to speak their minds. On the other hand, it has led to an environment in which players seldom have the luxury of enjoying time for themselves and are confronted with criticism 24/7.

“these guys are making twenty, thirty, forty million dollars a year. They stay in the best hotels in the world — they ain’t got no problems”

Recently ex-player Charles Barkley responded to Adam Silvers comments and said, “That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard any commissioner say — these guys are making twenty, thirty, forty million dollars a year. (…) They stay in the best hotels in the world — they ain’t got no problems”. Although Barkley has long been known for his outlandish comments, this way of thinking is not new as it was unfathomable that rich athletes at the top of their profession could be unhappy.

Comments like these from Charles Barkley clearly do not help in increasing awareness for the immense mental health problems that being an elite athlete can cause. It does not take much to figure out that money and fame do not automatically result in happiness. Fortunately, the conversation has largely moved on from such outdated opinions and supporting players mental health has become a central concern for the NBA.

There is still a stigma surrounding these topics

However, the NBA still has a long way to go. There is still a stigma surrounding these topics and so far only two players (Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan) have come out publicly, describing their personal struggles. Barkley’s comments also show that there is still a tendency to dismiss the issue of mental health completely. The relatively new advent of social media has certainly complicated things and led to increased anxiety among players.

Addressing the players mental health issues will be a long-term process for the NBA. It will involve listening to the experiences of its players, something Adam Silver has already begun to do. Through his comments, he re-opened the conversation around this topic and acknowledged its importance. These timely comments ought not to be overlooked and the NBA should seek to maintain its place as a leader in this area, continuing down the path they have already begun to support the wellbeing and mental health of their players.