Image: University of Warwick Women's Football Club

Warwick’s Women’s Futsal secured a well-deserved draw

By
Feb. 26, 2019
Posted in Sport

Against tough opposition, Warwick’s Women’s Futsal team fought hard to secure a well-deserved draw of 1-1 on Friday afternoon.

Although the match kicked off with a lot of route one attempts on both sides, it gradually gained momentum as Warwick took the upper hand, played out from the back and hit the wrong side of the back of the net. From here on in, both sides picked up the pace considerably. It didn’t take long for the home side to put one in the right side of the back of the net, as a brilliant cross from Daisy Scott took out the Cov defence entirely, leaving Eloise Cresswell to make it 1-0 Warwick with a clinical finish.

Keeper Shona Allen had her work cut out but proved more than a safe pair of hands

Coventry, with a far bigger bench and a surprisingly vocal group of supporters, took control in the last five minutes of the first half, with Warwick wriggling to get out of danger and make it to the whistle. Keeper Shona Allen had her work cut out but proved more than a safe pair of hands, stopping 3 shots in the space of a minute and showing a willingness to roam outside of her box when required.

Warwick kicked off the second half and immediately looked a lot more comfortable, making good runs down the line and more confidently threading passes through the Cov half. Defensively, Warwick looked strong with clear communication and as tight a formation as can be maintained in 5-a-side. Futsal is a changeable game though, and it was right at the moment Warwick looked at their most dangerous that the opposition hit on the break, only for their number 14 to score from an impressive angle.

The final minutes of the game were increasingly urgent

Warwick responded with gritted teeth, however, and a blinding free kick from Patricia Kelly deflected and rattled off the crossbar; one of many promising chances the team created. The final minutes of the game were increasingly urgent as both teams pushed for a win, and whilst it ended in a draw this match was anything but a stalemate; it could have been anyone’s game.

Overall it was a strong and gritty performance from Team Warwick, and whilst it didn’t end in the win many hoped for, it was a brilliant display of confidence and resilience from a tight-knit squad.