Image credit: Warwick SU

Warwick wins Varsity for 29th consecutive year

Warwick University have won the annual Varsity competition against rivals Coventry University for the 29th year in a row.

Success was confirmed after victory in the women’s rugby, with Warwick clinching the win by 24-17, pushing them over the 29 point threshold needed to defeat Coventry.

In 2018, Warwick managed to secure their victory in the first two days of the competition, however it took until the final day for the historic 29th win in a row to be confirmed.

The result seemed close at the end of the first day, with a tense 0-0 draw in the men’s football and a defeat in golf questioning Warwick’s ability to hammer home the win.

However, as the competition progressed into the second day, Warwick began to pull ahead, with victory in tennis, table tennis, and women’s badminton, among other sports. The state of play at the end of the second day meant Warwick needed to obtain one more point to secure the title for the 29th time.

This point was secured after a win in the women’s rugby. This was followed by a string of wins in lacrosse, women’s hockey and men’s rugby.

The state of play at the end of the second day meant Warwick needed to obtain one more point to secure the title for the 29th time.

Make sure to keep looking at the Boar Sport twitter (@BoarSport) for the few matches that are left, and catch a full round up of all the sporting action in the paper out on 28 February.