Image: The Boar
Image: The Boar

Warwick Men’s Table Tennis team victorious against Coventry

After two years of heartbreakingly narrow losses to arch rivals Coventry, the Warwick Men’s Table Tennis 1’s walked into Desso Hall with huge motivation and determination to finally realise victory in this titanic clash.

Warwick clearly used this energy to their advantage from the outset, with George Hazell kicking off the match with an outstanding showcase of talent and skill. He dominated his opponent in impressive fashion,  winning in straight sets (11-4, 11-4, 11-5). His victory very much set the tone for the rest of the afternoon as Warwick raced off to a 3-0 lead.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for Warwick however as Sammy Kaye and Yunsong Dai had to dig deep and show great resilience and grit as they fought hard over 5 sets and emerged victorious, buoyed on by the passionate supporters in attendance. Despite a slight scare after Coventry made it 3-1 through their highest ranked player, Warwick remained composed and refused to give up and crumble under the pressure.

They were on unstoppable form and by 8-2 wrapped up the whole competition as they cruised to victory, redeeming themselves after their devastating losses the years prior. The drama wasn’t finished there, however, Owen Hewett was also hugely influential in ensuring Warwick kept their foot on the throttle as they ultimately ended up smashing Coventry 14-3 in a truly remarkable achievement.