The Boar
The Boar

Warwick Men’s Futsal manage to achieve a solid victory

Warwick Men’s Futsal team scored six unanswered goals in a second-half performance that saw them run out as 9-3 winners over visiting Coventry. Led by example by Captain Louis Davies, Warwick were as ruthless as Coventry were listless in the second period.

Futsal have been one of the biggest sporting success stories on campus this year, and the Men’s 1s sit atop the Midlands 1A table with eight wins from eight at the time of writing. Coventry, by contrast, prop up the 2B division so one could have been forgiven for expecting Warwick to barely break sweat on home territory.

As the half progressed and the heat in the Sports Centre turned up a notch, Warwick rose to the challenge

It was not so to begin with, despite Warwick taking an early lead through Bottoli. Coventry fought back with two successive goals from range and Warwick struggled to click into gear.

As the half progressed and the heat in the Sports Centre turned up a notch, Warwick rose to the challenge. Inspired in part by a stylish performance from Pujen Shestra, who grabbed a cultured volley for his efforts, it was Warwick who felt aggrieved to enter the half-time level, at 3-3. It was only the acrobatic efforts of Coventry’s keeper that stopped Warwick from dispatching more of the myriad of half-chances they created.

All shape and fight abandoned, Warwick fired in again and again

A decisive moment came early in the second-half as Warwick’s Polson – who grew into the game tremendously – saved one-on-one and Davies fired one in powerfully on the counter.

From there Warwick never looked back, and Coventry’s team, bedecked in lurid shorts and either giant or miniature in stature, crumbled. All shape and fight abandoned, Warwick fired in again and again. Can scored the best goal of the game, dispatching a volley he had skilfully flicked up for himself. The home side’s superior class on the ball had been evident all match long, but now it bore fruit.

A well-won header from Ojo with the last play of the game capped an emphatic 9-3 win for Warwick. After the match, a delighted Davies confirmed, “Varsity is always a great event for people to support and get involved in. It’s really important that the game is played in a good spirit like ours was today.”