The Boar
The Boar

Warwick Men’s Badminton disheartened after losing 3-5

Desso Hall was packed on Saturday morning with waves of passionate and excited fans as Varsity Badminton kicked off the weekend in style.

A motivated and energetic Men’s first team poured their heart and soul into their contests but were matched by an equally skilful and confident Coventry side who made it a challenging afternoon for Warwick. 1st team captain Henry Jones featured in the singles showcase and was visibly pumped. Playing with a combination of immensely impressive power and control, he comfortably secured the first set 21-12 much to the appreciation of the crowd.

Warwick had better luck in the doubles fixture

The lively atmosphere at Desso Hall wasn’t enough to keep Coventry down however who bounced back to win the next 2 sets 21-13 in a thrilling back and forth game.  Despite the valiant efforts of Henry and other singles player Jake Thomas, Coventry were too powerful and emerged victorious in the singles games.

Warwick had better luck in the doubles fixture with Alex Beare and Robert Micklewright demonstrating fantastic composure and teamwork to win 21-14 and 21-6 to secure their first match of the day and give Warwick a fighting chance.

Despite refusing to give up without a fight, Coventry was too much for Warwick

It looked like it would go down to the wire after dominating performances by Kelvin Ho and Yuheng Zhong in their doubles games to after back to back victories, easing to victory with a 21-7 win. Despite refusing to give up without a fight, Coventry was too much for Warwick and ultimately finished the morning with 5 victories to Warwick’s 3.

Although the result didn’t go Warwick’s way, they gave it everything they had and should be very proud of their efforts. The crowd was able to witness an unbelievable display of Badminton from both sides and were thoroughly entertained throughout.