NHS sees increase in male nurses
Image: HCC Public Information Office/ Flickr

NHS sees highest rise of male nurse applicants in a decade

The NHS has seen a significant rise in the number of men leaving school and applying to be nurses after it successfully launched its “We Are The NHS” recruitment campaign.

Recent figures from UCAS (The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) have revealed that the number has grown by more than 50% over the last decade.

Furthermore, since the last year alone, there has been an increase of 9% in men that are pursuing careers in nursing, a career choice that was previously traditionally seen as feminine.

School leavers are the biggest group contributing to this surge, with number up by a fifth in the last decade.

The recent recruitment campaign by the NHS which was first launched on its 70th birthday in July 2018, targeted the age group of 14-18 specifically.

The “We Are The NHS” campaign promoted opportunities that are available in the NHS, with a focus on nursing, mental health and learning disabilities through the use of media, including TV, radio, posters and social media.

It surprises me that some people still think nursing is not an option for men. I never feel prouder than when I’m making a difference to people’s lives day in day out. I’d recommend a nursing career to anybody – man or woman

– Frankie Caruana

Frankie Caruana, a Senior Orthopaedic Practitioner from William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, Kent and one of the male nurses who took part in the campaign urged more men to enter the field: : “It surprises me that some people still think nursing is not an option for men. I never feel prouder than when I’m making a difference to people’s lives day in day out. I’d recommend a nursing career to anybody – man or woman.

He further added that: “Nurses in the NHS touch lives at times of basic human need, when care and compassion are what matter most and work as part of a supportive and inspiring team of people, who contribute to a valuable and enjoyable career.”

Paul Vaughan, the director of Nursing, Transformation, at NHS England told The Guardian that: “Nurses are at the heart of people’s NHS care so it’s encouraging to see such an uptake in nursing applications since the launch of the campaign – especially among men.

“We want to get young people, including boys, to think about a career in nursing from an early age, which is why NHS England has been working with families and schools to highlight the huge positive impact we can have and the many roles available within the profession.”