Aberdeen Uni
Image: Isaxen / Flickr

Snapchat group chat targets female students in Aberdeen

A Snapchat group named “The Brohood” has contacted several male students encouraging them to share explicit photos of women who attend the University of Aberdeen and Robert Gordon University (RGU).

In a message spread on the picture-sharing platform, the group invited recipients to “share, receive and enjoy the filthy girls of both Aberdeen universities with their fellow lads”.

It continues: “Don’t ruin the fun – keep it secret.”

The scheme was exposed last Monday when one recipient posted screenshots of the message on Twitter, warning female students to “watch out”. Other male students have since admitted to receiving the same message.

On Twitter, Robert Gordon University (RGU) wrote: “We have been made aware of this situation & will assist the authorities in any investigation. Respectfulness is a key element of RGU’s culture & the university does not condone this behaviour.”

Similarly, a University of Aberdeen spokesperson stated: “The university strongly condemns the material that we have been made aware is circulating on social media.”

Aberdeenshire East MSP Gillian Martin, a long-standing campaigner for stricter safeguarding regulations on Snapchat, stated she was “appalled but not surprised”.

She added: “The taking and sharing of intimate photographs without consent puts these people in a precarious position legally.

“I’d question those indulging in this whether it’s wise to jeopardise their future by being part of such groups.”

This allegation is the latest in a series of similar incidents at UK universities. Last year, a WhatsApp group chat allegedly containing racist remarks had sparked an investigation at the University of Exeter.

More recently, an exposed Facebook group chat containing rape threats towards female students at the University of Warwick has caused a wide-spread debate on sexual harassment at British universities.