Photo: Publicdomainpictures

What to watch in 2019

We’re almost finished with the first month of 2019, and it appears that this year is already shaping up to be fantastic for a wide range of quality TV shows. Here’s a list of a few to keep an eye out for in the coming months: 

Killing Eve

Killing Eve follows the cat and mouse game between MI6 Agent Eve Polastri (Sandra Oh) and European Assassin Villanelle (Jodie Comer). In the first series Villanelle proved herself to be a capable and effective killer, who inspired both fear and adoration in viewers and Eve as well, the woman tasked to find her. Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag) has created a show that manages to move seamlessly between comedy and thriller, with some fabulous outfits and locations and a leading role fit for Sandra Oh’s talents. Series Two will see the fallout stemming from the cliff-hanger of Series One. Eve will be falling deeper into a darkness that we only got a brief glimpse at and Villanelle will discover more secrets about the people she works for.

Fleabag

Phoebe Waller-Bridge will continue entertaining us this year with the much anticipated second series of Fleabag. Series One delivered a gut punch of an ending though its crude and unique writing, as well as the stellar acting by Waller-Bridge. The returning cast of Olivia Coleman, Sian Clifford, Hugh Skinner and Bill Paterson will be joined by Andrew Scott, who is captivating in every role he portrays, perhaps playing the love interest to our main character. While we only got to see the Fleabag that hides her grief behind sharp comments and self-destructive behaviour, the woman we will meet next will be crippled, exposed and defeated. Hopefully, we will also get to see her build herself back up.

What We Do in The Shadows

What We Do in The Shadows is an upcoming TV Series from New Zealand director Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarök). There is not much information on it yet, but given the calibre of work he has produced, this is one to look out for! The series will be based on his 2014 film, with a similar set up of three vampire roommates played by Marty Berry, Kayvan Novak and Natasha Demetriou. However, it will be set in New York rather than New Zealand. Waititi, who uses dark humour in his established work, will make this show distinguished from other New York sitcoms, it will surely be an interesting watch.

Line of Duty

The fifth series of Line of Duty brings the return of DS Steve Arnott (Martin Compston), DS Kate Fleming (Vicky McClure) and Spt Ted Tasting (Adrian Dunbar), of AC-12, routing out corruption in the police. Much of the plot has been kept under wrap, but this next series will bring us closer to discovering the identity of criminal mastermind ‘H’ and the unmasking of the Balaclava Men.

Game Of Thrones

The seven-year journey through Westeros that has lead its fans from the threat of the Ice King in the north, to two Queens fighting for the Iron Throne, comes to a close in 2019. While praised for subverting many fantasy clichés, the two series adapted without the books have been less than stellar, with predictable death and survivals. However, this last series is not to be missed where the six episodes will reveal secrets about Jon Snow (Kit Harington), Daenerys Targaryen’s (Emilia Clarke) possible madness and will end in the death of many favourite characters.

Big Little Lies

The follow up to Big Little Lies’ brilliant first series returns to Monterey where Madeline (Reese Witherspoon), Celeste (Nicole Kidman) and Jane (Shailene Woodley) must deal with Perry’s formidable mother (played by Meryl Streep). We will hopefully get to delve deeper into secondary characters like Bonny (Zoe Kravitz), who has her own demons and Ed (Adam Scott), who seemed rather suspect in the first series. With such a great cast, even a mediocre follow up will be worth the watch!