Micro-trips: the travel trend to watch for 2019

Is your New Year’s resolution to travel more? Will 2019 be the year that you finally embrace budget travel? Fancy exploring more of the UK this year? If your answer to any of these questions is a resounding ‘yes’, you might just be interested in considering one of 2019’s major travel trends: the micro-trip.

Many of us often have a will to travel, to explore parts of a country we have never sampled before, even if it is the one in which we live or study. What stops us? Two major constraints often prevent people from jetting off, despite wishing to do so. These are time and money.

53% of global travellers intend to take more weekend breaks in 2019, a clear indication that the micro-trip is about to take the world by storm

Indeed, as students, we are often pressed for time. With multiple deadlines, society commitments and other miscellaneous chores, we often struggle to find the time to travel, even at weekends and during reading weeks. Add to that the fact that many of us would likely end up deep into our overdrafts after planning a spontaneous trip away, and student travel may appear as a spell for disaster.

Fear not, because the micro-trip is here to save us all! 53% of global travellers intend to take more weekend breaks in 2019, a clear indication that the micro-trip is about to take the world by storm. With budget airlines flying out of London, Birmingham and Manchester, it appears as though more and more people will not hesitate to book a last-minute weekend break to Budapest on a budget.

As Warwick students, micro-trips are readily available to us. Whether you wish to stay in the UK or to venture further afield, multiple options are available right on your doorstep

This is the very beauty of a micro-trip and it has never been easier to plan one. Taking advantage of Skyscanner, Airbnb, booking.com, lastminute.com and multiple other online outlets, consumers are increasingly jetting off for two-night stays in Europe, Africa, Scotland and Wales, ready to take full advantage of the perks a micro-trip has to offer.

Indeed, with only a handful of days to explore wherever one may take their micro holiday, there is a great incentive to planning a comprehensive itinerary to maximise the time spent away. Likewise, accommodation costs are often a lot lower if weekend deals are sought online, ideal for budget-savvy students wishing to travel. Finally, a micro-trip away may just be the small break a student needs from an essay that just doesn’t seem to end.

Keen to embrace 2019’s major travel trend but not sure how to do so? As Warwick students, micro-trips are readily available to us. Whether you wish to stay in the UK or to venture further afield, multiple options are available right on your doorstep.

At the time of writing, flights suitable for a micro-trip to Lanzarote from Birmingham Airport were being advertised at £24 on Kayak

For those craving a weekend out of the UK, Birmingham International Airport currently hosts budget airlines such as TUI, Ryanair, easyJet, Flybe and Jet2. At the time of writing, flights suitable for a micro-trip to Lanzarote from Birmingham Airport were being advertised at £24 on Kayak. This is just one example of how accessible a micro-trip can be for Warwick students.

Alternatively, for those wishing to explore more of the UK before their time at Warwick comes to an end, micro-trips are an ideal way to do so. City breaks to London and Manchester are easily accessible from Coventry or Leamington via train, and can be incredibly cheap if booked in advance.

Rural retreats are also well within the reach (and budgets) of Warwick students, with the Peak District a mere two hours away by train and various countryside beauty spots ready to be explored in and around Warwickshire.

It is safe to say that many students will be embracing 2019’s major travel trend to save both money and time while making the most of their will to explore. With micro-trips clearly on the rise, it may be worth adding ‘travel more’ to your list of New Year’s resolutions after all.