Image: King's Church International/Unsplash

University of Warwick ranked 11th for campus safety

In a recent league table by the Complete University guide, the University of Warwick has been ranked in 11th place for campus safety.

This is out of 120 universities in England and Wales, including collegiate, campus, and city based universities.

Although not exclusively taken from the student population of each area, the data presented is based on the crimes most relevant to students: robbery, burglary, as well as violence and sexual offences.

Each university is ranked on the combination of all three categories occurring in the past year, specifically in areas where students live in term time.

Warwick has a very effective and dedicated security team that work immensely hard to keep our students, staff and visitors safe

– Warwick University statement

Warwick University issued a statement on the topic, saying: “Warwick has a very effective and dedicated security team that work immensely hard to keep our students, staff and visitors safe. Campus universities outside of city centres, such as our own, do make things a little easier to police as we can have better control of the CCTV, parking, building access and much of the vehicle movement on campus.”

It is sometimes pointed out that campuses can feel deceptively safe, but these statistics do seem to reflect their safe appearance.

With 20.4 incidents of a violent or sexual nature per 1,000, one burglary and 8.3 robberies, Warwick is placed higher than collegiate universities such as the University of Cambridge.

Warwick University off campus accommodation is also taken into account.

Second and third year Warwick students usually choose to live in areas of Leamington, Canley, and Earlsdon, when compared with Coventry accommodation in the City centre, Foleshill, and Stoke, the league tables show them to be considerably safer.

Coventry University takes 72nd place in the rankings.