Quirky gadgets to make reading easier

Reading is a big part of student life – there’s even a whole week dedicated just to doing so each term at university. However, for those of us struggling to find the motivation to pick up another book, here’s a couple of gadgets to help make reading easier, and perhaps a little more fun.

If you ever find yourself without a post-it note or bookmark when making notes at 8:30am for your 9am seminar, this handy little gadget is just what you need. The Bookmarker, available to purchase on Amazon, is a simple little accessory which can make note-taking so much easier. This innovative gadget is a replaceable pen and bookmark in one, with 100 sticky notes for marking the important pages in the book. The Bookmarker also comes with a strap that keeps your book shut, avoiding a plethora of scraps of paper and crumbs making their way into the books in your bag.

Glasses are a brilliant invention, up until the point you take them off your head and frantically spend 20 minutes searching your entire room for them

While we’re on the topic of bookmarks, there’s nothing quite as frustrating as when you’re holding a book open in your hand, and the pages fold inwards regardless. If this is a struggle you no longer want to have, consider getting yourself a ThumbThing Book Page Holder Bookmark. This handy (see what I did there?) little gadget goes on your thumb like a ring and keeps the two sides of your book open.

Many of us have not been blessed in the vision department, and thus require some assistance when reading. Glasses are a brilliant invention, up until the point you take them off your head and spend 20 minutes frantically searching your entire room for them. Well, thanks to a quirky gadget, losing your glasses could be a thing of the past. This nose-shaped wooden reading glasses holder is not only extremely helpful for keeping your spectacles safe, it also looks like a sophisticated piece of art when you’re not using it.

This next one is not so much a gadget but still deserved the spotlight. Bibliophiles (book lovers) often say that the feel and smell of a book is lost in our modern world of e-readers and Kindles. If you’re one of those people, this is the perfect thing for you. When you find yourself reading a PDF version of your favourite book, get yourself True Grace’s Library leaves.  Infused with a “smoky blend of Cedar and Sandalwood with a little birch tar ember,” you can hang these scented leaves around your room to give it that authentic library scent.

Book sleeves come with many different patterns that you can match to your laptop or phone case for the ultimate aesthetic satisfaction

Last, but certainly not least, if you’re one of those people who like to keep their books in pristine condition (and, quite frankly, rightfully so), you need a Book Sleeve. This helpful satchel keeps your precious and beloved book safe from drinks, food, pens, and anything else you might find at the bottom of your bag. Book sleeves come with many different patterns that you can match to your laptop or phone case for the ultimate aesthetic satisfaction.

So, if you’re struggling with your reading this week, or perhaps have already started thinking about Christmas presents, consider one of these quirky gadgets to improve your reading experience.