Image: PxHere

Is ‘Captain Marvel’ a Game-Changer?

After ten years and twenty record-breaking blockbusters, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is finally turning its attention to a female lead with Captain Marvel in March 2019. Fans have long begged for a film focused on the popular heroine and it’s a mystery as to why it has taken this long for a female-led Marvel film to hit theatres. But better late than never, and it hopefully marks a new adventurous direction for the cinematic universe that has redefined the superhero genre.

the metaphorical glass ceiling of female superheroes was broken through in 2017

However, despite the trailer garneting an impressive 109 million views worldwide in its first 24 hours, some are doubting the potential success of the film. The metaphorical glass ceiling of female superheroes was broken through in 2017 with the first ever Wonder Woman film, which received wild critical and commercial success and became the highest grossing domestic release of that summer. Thus, the “achievement” of being the first major female superhero film has already been taken, and some feel that may have stolen some thunder from Captain Marvel – making it less of an event and of lesser importance.

Prior to the last few years, female superhero films were tainted by the failures of almost every other attempt to launch a new star. Take the notorious flops of Catwoman starring Halle Berry and Elektra starring in Jennifer Garner in 2003 and 2005 respectively, which were enabled by the 21st century boom in superhero films. These bombs killed off the female superhero film for twelve years until Wonder Woman finally hit screens, though efforts to make a film with the character remained in development hell for over twenty years.

Some suggest this could make the success of Wonder Woman a fluke of some sort, but this seems to be at best, misguided considering the considerable anticipation for further entries into the female superhero film canon. Wonder Woman may have wet the appetite for female heroes on the big screen, but to assume this means audiences aren’t hungry for more would be a big mistake. While Captain Marvel follows in the footsteps of Wonder Woman, it’s significant to note that its massive success was generally a surprise. Thus, the continued hype and projected success of the next female superhero film in Captain Marvel is important in solidifying that superheroines are here to stay in the blockbusters of today, particularly to Marvel themselves considering their hesitance in ordering female-led projects up until now.

superhero blockbusters stand as focal points in the entertainment industry’s fight for greater diversity in film and television

Additionally, due to their wide visibility and popularity, superhero blockbusters stand as focal points in the entertainment industry’s fight for greater diversity in film and television both in on-screen representation and within the industry workers themselves. The presence of a star like Brie Larson in the lead as ‘Carol Danvers’ aka ‘Captain Marvel’, known for being outspoken on diversity and industry issues, is vital in bringing further attention and significance to improving representation of diverse voices. Her role in this film only gives her a larger platform to bring greater awareness to these issues, potentially leading to more actresses like her getting this attention.

Equally important is the hiring of actual female talent to direct, write and lead projects that focus on female characters, which has finally been highlighted in Captain Marvel. Its co-director, Anna Foden is the first female director in the MCU, while the screenwriters credited are made almost entirely up of female writers. Given female voices are so rare in mainstream cinema, featuring them in big-budget projects is hugely important in diversifying the most prominent filmmakers in Hollywood whilst also giving greater authenticity and complexity to the female heroes, hopefully free from the male gaze that they are often subject to.

films are not only introducing super-heroines to audiences but are also giving exposure to more female creative voices

Alongside Wonder Woman, it is undoubtable that Captain Marvel has changed the game and the future of the superhero genre, with several new female superhero films in the pipeline. The upcoming sequel to Wonder Woman is currently in production, whilst DC has set a film based around the all-female superhero team, Birds of Prey to be released in 2020 and Marvel has finally made the moves to develop a Black Widow solo film. Best of all, these all have announced female directors and screenwriters, illustrating how these films are not only introducing super-heroines to audiences but are also giving exposure to more female creative voices – a development that was long overdue. Thankfully it seems that Captain Marvel will soon be in good company and not become Marvel’s ‘one-off’ female property.