Image: crueltyfreeblog.wordpress.com

Waitrose student ‘essentials’ list includes Harissa paste and Bouillon powder

Waitrose has sparked debate after revealing a list of student ‘essential’ ingredients deemed unaffordable and unnecessary products for those “flying the nest”.

Their five integral ingredients for the student cupboard include: Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder (£2), Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar (£1.70), Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Organic Italian Seasoning (£1.89), Belazu Rose Harissa (£4.35), and Clearspring Organic Tamari Soya Sauce (£3.15).

The list left plenty of people outraged as expensive tuition fees and rent already make it difficult for many students to get by.

Postgraduate student Lydia Clark says: “I think this list of items proves how out of touch Waitrose is with the general student population.

“Most students fill their cupboards with items they will use regularly, and know they can justify cost-wise, such as baked beans, potatoes, ketchup etcetera.

“I don’t think I know a single student who regularly marinades their meat, or even has the funds to based on Waitrose’s prices!”

Most students fill their cupboards with items they will use regularly, and know they can justify cost-wise, such as baked beans, potatoes, ketchup etcetera

– Lydia Clark, Postgraduate

Students and parents took to Twitter to complain about the list. Claire Farrow said: “This is completely ridiculous. Some students may want to try their hand at creative cooking, but these are not essentials. How about Sunflower oil, salt & pepper, garlic bulb and tomato puree?”

One parent jokingly wrote: “Uh oh… my son has just gone off with three jars of coffee, four packs of Super Noodles, two Pot Noodles and a bottle of Nandos peri peri sauce.”

Another Twitter user defended the list, pointing out that it was called a “starter kit for the fledgling cook”. They said: “I took [it] to mean someone interested in actually cooking. These ingredients would indeed help and inspire them to cook flavoursome food from scratch so what is the problem?”

Supermarket Sainsbury’s also joined the debate, sharing a photo on Twitter of pasta and full flavour Cheddar cheese from their ‘basics’ range. It was captioned “Now that’s more like it” followed by a winking emoji.

However, reviewers left positive comments about the products on the website. The Harissa paste has a five-star rating, with one saying: “I love this stuff, it is great to add flavour to meat or put on a pizza to take it to the next level. It is a great blend of spice and flavour. I always have a jar in my cupboard.”

The bouillon powder was called a “kitchen essential” by one shopper and many claim the soya sauce is good for “all sorts of savoury dishes”.

Defending their recommendations, a Waitrose spokeswoman commented: “All these ingredients go a long way and can be the basis of many simple, tasty and great value home cooked meals.”