University of Warwick Fencing Club
University of Warwick Fencing Club

Why you should join… Fencing

Midway through the second week of this year’s “Why you should join” series, the Fencing Club have their say as to why they stand out from the pack.

Have you ever fancied hitting people with swords? Well now you can in a safe and supportive environment. We welcome fencers of every level from complete beginners to international competitors. Whether you want to try a new sport or participate at a high level, we have opportunities for you!

Compete

Warwick Fencing is proud to host 2 national competitions. At the end of term 1, we have our National Novices tournament, a large and well-known beginners’ fencing competition, which is a great way for new fencers to experience competitive fencing just weeks after joining! In term 2, there is the Warwick Open, offering men’s and women’s competitions for multiple weapons. On top of that, we have 3 BUCS teams (2 men’s and 1 women’s) who regularly take part in matches as well as our annual Varsity Match against Coventry, which we won last year by just a single point!

Get fit

Fencing is a great form of exercise incorporating speed, acceleration and power as well as quick reactions and mental sharpness. Moreover, an hour of fencing can burn off more than 400 calories! Strategy is also very important, making it a good workout for the brain too! It is also a great way of relieving stress and improving confidence.

Meet new people

We are a friendly and inclusive club offering a wide variety of socials such as circles, meals, pub quizzes, our annual Eurovision social and even joint socials with other martial arts and target sport clubs. Everyone is catered for and there is absolutely no pressure to drink if you do not wish to. This will give you plenty of opportunities to make new friends who will stay with you for your whole degree and beyond.

Facebook

Twitter