Image: Nicholas Smale / Flickr
Image: Nicholas Smale / Flickr

Literary characters move into Warwick campus accommodation

Warwick University Campus, where education and construction sites aren’t so much bedfellows so much as they have been trapped in a dysfunctional marriage for the past 50 years. Here first year students will flock into their new accommodations. Many will be on their own for the first time. And with moving into these new accommodations comes a with a brand-new set of stereotypes for them to adjust to depending on where they land. Or get landed. Not everyone is so lucky to get what they’re after, and this includes literary characters obscure and revered as they try to make headway in this new landscape.

Bluebell

We begin with Bluebell, a hotel block with all the fun stripped out of the interior design. Here it is assumed only the most wealthy and isolated of all students will reside, and among them a young Miss Havisham attempts to set up friendships for life. While the building certainly fits her standards, her party is a disaster and the kitchen is never cleaned again after the cobwebs and green patches start to define her feast setup.

Rootes

Meanwhile across a narrow path is Rootes where the noise levels can only be measured by speakers that go up to 11. Here, Templeton the rat has made a nice home, collecting words such as ‘woke’, ‘bruv’ and ‘sup’ while building up his perfect kingdom of rubbish. The fact the kitchens are rarely cleaned and the lighting is so sparse at night gives him the perfect opportunity to get by in a crowded student environment.

Westwood on the other hand offers isolation, easy access to University House and the post room and has enough space to wonder in circles pondering all the issues of life with ease

Whitefields

In Whitefields just next door however Bilbo Baggins is the only one content with the dimensions of his student home but dissatisfied with his inability to make the rest of the place quaint or anything but squalid. Yes, he has endured goblin caves and spider webs but for this simply hobbit enough is enough at some points.

Cryfield

Similarly, in Cryfield across the campus Philip Marlowe, ace private investigator freshly moved from LA finds himself in familiar territory with a small cramped environment perfect for investigating his roommates, reminding him of every dive he had to check during an investigation. There’s also finally enough whiskey for him to get by on a day to day basis.  

Westwood

Westwood on the other hand offers isolation, easy access to University House and the postroom and has enough space to wonder in circles pondering all the issues of life with ease. So, without much surprise it is the perfect accommodation for the Oncler who having failed the Lorax and let the environment die by his own greed. Now he simply lets guilt take him through Tesco ready meals and many walks in what is one of the few green patches left on campus.  

Dorothy for instance, while desperately trying to smuggle Toto in are suffering culture shock in their overcrowded kitchen in Tocil

Tocil

When moving into campus you will meet a number of people who are adjusting to whole new living situations. Dorothy for instance, while desperately trying to smuggle Toto in are suffering culture shock in their overcrowded kitchen in Tocil, yes it’s not Kansas and everyone gets it after the first few exclamations.

Lakeside, Heronbank and Sherborne

In Lakeside, Heronbank and Sherborne the heroes of Greek mythology are all confounded by their new foes – the geese who give them more of a run for their money than the Trojans, though unlike some of their colleagues they have no issue crossing the distances from their idyllic setting to central campus.

Starting a whole new phase of life offers whole new discoveries and occasionally disappointments. For all the hype surrounding university you will be living with people who may drive you insane and may be there when you need them. In many cases it’s simply because they’re human and not everyone has all the time to clean the dishes, unless you meet someone who loves cleaning recreationally in which case you’ve struck gold. You’ll just have to see. It’s all waiting.