Ways to pass the summer

With exams now over and eight weeks of summer ahead, students suddenly find themselves with a lot of free time on their hands. While it may be nice to have time away from studying and reading, we all have moments when boredom hits. In case this happens, I have compiled some tricks and tips to give you some inspiration on how to pass your time.

Get a summer job

This is definitely something that can take up a lot of your time and is a really good commitment to have. Not only does it look good on your CV, but it also allows you to develop a new skill which could be useful in later life. It also means you can make some money to help fund fun activities. I would recommend sticking to part-time work, so you still have time to enjoy your summer.

Do something good for your local community

Organisations and charities that operate locally are always looking for volunteers to help. Often, they rely completely on unpaid work meaning your help would be greatly appreciated. With a great variety of charities out there, you are sure to find a charity supporting an issue you are passionate about. Not only is volunteer work extremely rewarding it also looks very favourable on a CV as it shows how you can dedicate your time to a project.

Find a new hobby

It may sound tricky to find a new hobby but there are loads of different activities you can take up. If you are craving spending time outside to enjoy the weather, you could go on bike rides with family and friends. If sporting activities aren’t your vibe, then you could start to learn a new language or maybe even start writing for The Boar. There will be something out there for you, you just have to find it.

Be a tourist in your own town

I trialled this during the Easter holiday and found it interesting to discover what my local area has to offer. It is easy to overlook a place you have always known and forget that there might be hidden gems in your local town, you just need to keep your eyes peeled. Local newspapers or Facebook are a great place to discover local events that you have never heard of.

Organise day trips with your friends

Do not forget that you are not the only one who has time off university, so summer it is a great time to organise to meet up with your friends. One of my favourite things I did last year when I met up with some uni friends was go to Thorpe Park for the day. If you decide to go to a theme park you can often find discount codes in promotional packs. If money is tight, a picnic is an excellent way to enjoy the good weather, even if you are on a budget.

Get reading for fun

As a history student, I spend a lot of my time reading scholarly articles and books relating to the modules I am studying. During term time, I struggle to pick up a book at times as I feel like I already spend so much time reading. When it gets to the holiday, I see it as an opportunity to be able to read what I want. Make the most of local libraries as they have so many books on offer of all different genres so you will be able to find a book for you.