Image: Leanne Ward

Warwick at the Fringe: Reactivists presents As It Happened (Contemporaneous Notes)

In the third edition of our Warwick at the Fringe series, Jessie Kolvin meets the team behind the emerging theatre company Reactivists to discuss their new show.

What’s the concept?

Since the 1st January 2018, five female writers have worked together to create weekly responses to the socio-political events of the week, both local and international. These responses are now collaged together to create an overview of the year, but also to interrogate our ability to respond to the news and question the relationship between theatre and politics.

How does the production show off Warwick drama to its best?

The process has been very collaborative: the writers, actors and creative team have all had an equal input in the show and an opportunity to share their ideas and skills, so hopefully we are fostering the same creative nurturing atmosphere as Warwick drama.

Tell us about your cast. What makes them special?

The cast are brilliant – they are all very generous and open with their ideas and have really engaged with the script and ethos behind it. They’ve brought a new energy to the play.

Sum up your show in three words.

Innovative. Playful. Curious. 

If your show was a Warwick landmark, what would it be?

We’re fusing different writing styles together to create a new and exciting experience, so we’d be Bar Fusion!

Where are you performing and when?

Perth Theatre, The Space @ Northbridge.

3-11 August– 10:20am

13-18 August – 10:50am

Top tip for making the most of/surviving the Fringe?

Sleep! See the shows you want to see, but don’t feel guilty for taking a break!