earnings
Image: Pixabay

Warwick graduates in top 10 for highest earnings in over a dozen subjects

Warwick graduates are ranked 6th in the UK for high earnings five years after graduation, evidenced by the government’s 2018 Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) dataset.

The recently released data has also found Warwick in the top 10 of the LEO subject categories, which sees academic departments including: History, Philosophy, Life Sciences, Psychology, Mathematics, Business Studies (WBS), Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Warwick Medical School, the School of Law and the School of Modern Languages and Cultures and a number of other creative departments.

The BBC’s recent article has shown that in comparison to average earnings after five years, for men, History graduates earn £5,800, Philosophy graduates earn £8,500, Economics graduates earn £12,500, Law graduates earn £13,500, Maths graduates earn £16,000, Physics graduates earn £10,000, Business and Management graduates earn £15,000, Politics graduates earn £14,000 above average.

As for women, History graduates earn £1,300, Philosophy graduates earn £7,600, Economics graduates earn £5,000, Law graduates earn £14,600, Maths graduates earn £10,000, Physics graduates earn £2,500, Business and Management graduates earn £13,000, Politics graduates earn £4,500 above average.

From the data, economics has the largest positive impact on earnings for both men and women, with the University of Cambridge on £32,500 and LSE on £31,300 more than the average economics graduate earnings.

Contrarily, creative arts come at the other end of the scale. Men graduating from the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama earn £20,000 and women from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama earn £16,600 less than average drama earnings.

Commenting on the news, University of Warwick’s vice-chancellor Stuart Croft said: “As we welcome people to our university for our Open Days, the 2018 LEO data is wonderful news for Warwick students past, present and future. The new data demonstrates that employers are recognising the skills and potential of Warwick graduates and is a fitting tribute to the hard-work and dedication of the Warwick community.”