Shakespeare in Yosemite
Image: Oleg Chursin / Unsplash

Earth Day Weekend: Shakespeare in Yosemite National Park

In celebration of Earth Day and Shakespeare’s birthday, an eco-focussed rendition of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ is to be performed in California’s Yosemite National Park.

Between April 20 – 22, a 90-minute production is open to all park visitors, free of charge. Taking place in the Lower River and Half Dome Village Amphitheaters, it is said to present a strong environmental message to those of all ages with its reused and recycled emphasis on props and costumes.

This production, adapted by Dr Paul Prescott of the University of Warwick’s Department of English and Comparative Literary Studies, and Professor Katherine Steele Brokaw of the University of California, Merced, was developed after the pair co-founded ‘Shakespeare in Yosemite’ last year.

Speaking ahead of the performances, Dr Prescott said: “In putting free Shakespeare in Yosemite, we’re drawing on these powerful, progressive traditions at a time when both the Parks system and the arts in general are in jeopardy.

In putting free Shakespeare in Yosemite, we’re drawing on these powerful, progressive traditions at a time when both the Parks system and the arts in general are in jeopardy

— Dr Paul Prescott

“The coincidence of Earth Day and Shakespeare’s birthday invites us to think about the ecological dimensions of his plays. Shakespeare was alive to such issues: his writing is hyper-sensitive to the natural environment, to the sentience of all living creatures. Furthermore, he lived through the ‘little ice age’, felt the volatility of the seasons, observed the first major waves of deforestation taking place across England.”

Professor Brokaw continued: “In creating this show, we’ve tried to stick to some sustainable principles. We’ve reduced Shakespeare’s text by pruning away some obscure bits, we’ve reused the words and music of some other great artists to help us tell our story, and we’ve recycled wherever possible, raiding thrift stores, but also turning trash left in the Park into costumes and props.

She also told the Los Angeles Times: “We plan to construct the fairy wings out of trash that’s been left in the park to really emphasise the ways in which all of us are responsible for the problems of the natural world, and it’s up to us to fix them.”

The turnout for this production is expected to be high, with performances from Park Ranger Jessica Rivas, alongside Devon Glover, who is known for reworking Shakespeare into rap and hip hop under the name ‘The Sonnet Man’. The cast also includes Lisa Wolpe, the founder of the Los Angeles Women’s Shakespeare Company as Puck.

A Midsummer Night’s Dream has received much support, including from the Institute of Advanced Study; Warwick Public Engagement Fund; Humanities Research Fund; Global Research Priorities Connecting Cultures Fund; and the Department of English and Comparative Literary Studies.