ASOS and Augmented Reality: Because One-Size Rarely Fits All

As someone who spends most her money online shopping rather than saving, I understand that without being able to try on clothes before purchasing them, there is the likelihood that that the clothing will look different on the professional model compared to me. However, ASOS has just introduced a new feature that will help change that.

The feature that can be currently found on five dresses on the website, allows people to view the same clothing item on models of different sizes. In a statement, ASOS said: “We’re always testing new technology that can make our customers’ experience even better. In this case, we’re experimenting with augmented reality to show product on different size models, so customers can get a better sense of how something might fit their body shape.” So instead of seeing a crop top or dress on a size eight model, people can see it on sizes such as 12 or 18. There are currently only a few garments that have been included in this feature, but ASOS has revealed that they will be rolling it into their app and extending the feature on the website.

Image: ASOS

Image: ASOS

This is not the first time that ASOS has catered for the varied body shapes of the world.

It is not a surprise that that ASOS is getting much praise for this new addition. With the numerous tweets like: “This helps massively, as I often wonder how clothes would look on me, when I’m clearly 5 sizes bigger than themodel. Great move forward” and “I hope more brands are logical and follow suit, I return so much stuff because I look nothing like the model. In reality, we need to change the bias behind towards thinness,” showing that the public is happy with ASOS’ steps towards inclusivity. This is not the first time that ASOS has catered for the varied body shapes of the world, selling clothing made especially for tall women, petite women, and curvy women, which has established ASOS as a reliable place for all women to find clothing that fits.

Although this technology is relatively new, other companies have already begun installing it. Gap has integrated augmented reality into its app to let users try on clothes virtually. Ikea partnered with Apple’s “ARkit” so that shoppers could virtually arrange furniture and home-wear on their App to get a feel for what it would look like in real life. L’Oreal also launched the “Makeup Genius” app that lets customers see how products will look on their skin, which has been picked up and adapted by other makeup brands such as Sephora, Charlotte Tilbury and Rimmel.

A study by Interactions Consumer Experience Marketing found that 34% of users say they would use augmented reality while shopping, and 61% say they would prefer to shop at stores that offer Augmented Reality. 

Research has shown that customers are adapting positively to the new technology. A study by Interactions Consumer Experience Marketing found that 34% of users say they would use augmented reality while shopping, and 61% say they would prefer to shop at stores that offer Augmented Reality. What’s more, the augmented reality market was valued at around $3.33 billion in 2015, and is expected to reach approximately $133.78 billion in 2021, according to a report by Zion Market Research Firm.

While this article has been largely female focussed, females are not the only ones that have varied body types. Although this is a large step towards inclusivity, there must be something for the men as well. While this concern has been raised to ASOS, they couldn’t say yet whether the feature would be made available for men. Yet, this is a new concept, and I would agree with the masses in saying that this will do wonders for helping women feel more confident. Hopefully soon, we won’t need to return that dress that doesn’t suit us because companies will cater for us – the normals.