Image: Square Enix, Final Fantasy X HD Remaster

Link to the Past – Final Fantasy X

One of the game series I utterly adore is Final Fantasy and, while many fans minds jump to the angst filled adventures of Cloud Strife, featured in the seventh instalment, for me one of the most underappreciated games in the series is Final Fantasy X. Viewed through the eyes of Tidus, an athlete propelled 1000 years into the future, the game follows the journey of the summoner Yuna.

Image: Square Enix, IGDB

Her life has been devoted to training in order to lay the monstrous Sin to rest for 10 years. She must carry out a pilgrimage through the now post-apocalyptic world. At each city you learn more of Yuna’s struggles, why she would endure so much when it is impossible to truly defeat Sin, and her importance to the people of Spira. Her sacrifices have given her strength that Tidus reveres, and ultimately, and refreshingly, she is easily the most powerful character in the game.

As a young female gamer, what kept me playing that first time was the amount I felt I could empathise with Yuna

Though often criticised for linearity, the story of the game is rich, and the gameplay flexible enough that even 15 years on from its initial release I can still lose a weekend playing it. As a young female gamer, what kept me playing that first time was the amount I felt I could empathise with Yuna, seeing her motivations and becoming inspired by her strength over any other character in the game. It is stories like these that inspired me to become a Computer Scientist, so that one day I can work on a Final Fantasy title.