Image Credit: WB Games Montreal, IGBD

Getting into the Christmas spirit with videogames

The Christmas genre seems as difficult for videogames to fit into as the video game movie; except of course for Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider which was is a treasure to all, and I don’t understand why others won’t appreciate its genius. So, unless your family likes to gather around Elf Bowling or Santa Claus Saves the Earth your vision of Christmas may very well be lacking in holiday-themed videogames. Well I’m here to put the record straight, and prove that Christmas without a little videogame traditions just isn’t Christmas.

Though a decent Christmas-themed level may be hard to find, it can offer a welcome change of pace and tone to a videogame. Take the ‘Christmas is here’ level from Bully, complete with its own traditional hideous Christmas gift brought to you by your distant and neglectful mother… or maybe that’s just my Christmas. Moving swiftly on to Freezeezy Peak in Banjo Kazooie which is completely delightful, except for the fact that it brought up that existential and terrifying question, what if snowmen fought back? There’s also the religiously ambiguous Toy Day from Animal Crossing, which somehow makes your avatar even cutesier by letting you get your hands on a Santa costume.

Do snowmen dream of icy sheep? Image Credit: Gamerscore Blog, Flickr

If you’re looking for more than just a single level there are some videogames that can oblige. Though it may be the worst of the Batman Arkham games, Batman Arkham Origins takes pride of place as the best Christmas-themed videogame, perhaps of all time. I know I know, it’s a bold statement but I believe I can justify it. One, Batman. Two… Batman. Three… (I think you get the idea). A dip into the Dead Rising 4 may also bring some Christmas cheer, though I think it may be a game so dead inside not even the power of Christmas consumerism can cover up the… well… Christmas consumerism.

How about you work off all that built-up familial tension by beating each-other up in Injustice 2. Remember kids, it’s not domestic abuse if it’s in a videogame

How about a videogame that may not be strictly Christmas-themed, but that brings the whole family together – truly the heart of the Christmas spirit. Mario Kart is guaranteed to bring the laughter, or at least useful in deflecting the political/ religious/ life-choices argument into something less vindictive: the blue shell. Actually that might be worse, scratch that. How about you work off all that built-up familial tension by beating each-other up in Injustice 2. Remember kids, it’s not domestic abuse if it’s in a videogame. Or, if you’re really desperate to incorporate Christmas into your family fun there’s the free DLC Festive Seasoning for Overcooked, because as we all know the cooking for the Christmas dinner just isn’t enough, goddammit.

It seems to scream ‘Love ME!!’, Image Credit: Bago Games, Flickr

Of course, the fourth option is to just go screw it. Christmas isn’t just about Christmas, it’s about enjoying yourself. Why not go through your gaming library and pick your favourite game to dip back into. Be it the Last of Us, Bioshock, Half-Life, Resident Evil or the Elder Scrolls, it’s your Christmas and you should enjoy it in any way you want to. So I’ll be here on Christmas Day, playing the game that happens to lighten my soul and truly make my Christmas… Elf Bowling.