binge-drinking

The normalisation of binge-drinking

The end of reading week marks the end of Freshers’ for many first-years, as days get shorter, the weather gets colder, and deadlines start approaching at an alarming pace. The first five or six weeks are for many freshers what one could describe as a ‘prolonged sesh’. In fact, Freshers’ Fortnight is in many cases is structurally based on alcohol consumption. Most of us met our flatmates over pre-drinks during move-in weekend, and our course friends and society mates through drinking socials. Sports clubs initiations are a wholly different topic of discussion, as they frequently cross the line to become health, safety, and sometimes even life- endangering situations.

This drinking culture, however, does not end with Freshers’ Week. Initiations are often attended by second and third years who do not hesitate to drink just as much, while Warwick’s very own weekly Pop! circling can be seen to promote the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol in a short period of time, often without having had a proper dinner beforehand. I am by no means implying that this is a problem exclusive to Warwick, nor that I have never got ‘off my face’ myself. I think it’s quite clear that this is a nationwide issue that affects the majority of students who drink alcohol, and it is an issue that has persisted for a very long time.

In the end, drinking for young adults is a matter of quantity over quality…

According to a study by The Independent, the number of non-drinking students is on the rise, however binge-drinking seems to still be an integral part of many student’s university experience. Some students may drink in order to overcome their shyness and gain enough confidence to socialise with their peers, or even just to fit in in the first place, because this is what is expected of them. The quintessential example for this would be a circle, where people can get targeted for not finishing their pint in one go or for choosing to consume a couple of pints rather than a couple of pitchers of purple throughout the night. In the end, drinking for young adults is a matter of quantity over quality: sipping and enjoying your drink is seen as something to be made fun of, while downing one pint after the other is considered something brave and commendable.

Regular alcohol consumption weakens the immune system and leaves the body more vulnerable to diseases, both physical and mental…

Drinking large quantities of alcohol regularly can have a lot of negative effects on a student’s health in the short and in the long term. From a casual hangover the day after to injuries and alcohol poisonings in the short-term, to higher chances of suffering a stroke, liver cirrhosis, and nervous system damage.Regular alcohol consumption weakens the immune system and leaves the body more vulnerable to diseases, both physical and mental. Alcohol and signs of depression work interchangeably to such an extent that there is even a scientific term for it: alcohol- induced depression. Especially given the mental health endemic in British universities in recent years, the importance of drinking responsibly really cannot be stressed enough.

Getting drunk on a regular basis can also annihilate any sense of responsibility that young adults are supposed to be building. It can lead to budget problems, because despite the offers in bars, clubs, and supermarkets, alcohol really sets back your balance. As crazy as it may sound, I’ve heard people saying they will save up for alcohol by buying less food. Obviously, it can also have academic repercussions- we all know someone who will get talked into going out on any night regardless of deadlines. However, skipping that early lesson every week because of a hangover will definitely not help when it comes to assessments and exams.

Regretting things you said or did around people whilst drunk can also lead to problems…

But the adverse effects don’t stop there. Not remembering what happened on a night out is incredibly dangerous. As well as this, in terms of self-esteem, regretting things you said or did around people whilst drunk can also lead to problems. Not being in control of yourself can be very problematic for your safety and well-being, not only on the night, but also after it.

Alcohol alone is not the problem, it is the normalisation of binge-drinking that is alarming. University should be about discovering ourselves and trying to integrate into the world of adulthood and responsibilities, and by drinking ourselves into oblivion on a weekly basis, we are probably doing neither.