Image: Flickr/Serhio Magpie

Leamington’s homeless share their stories online

Social inclusion charity P3 have released a video to raise awareness on the issue of homelessness in the Warwick district.

The video tells the stories of two homeless men in Leamington, Simon and Luka, both referred to the charity and significantly helped by their work.

A spokeswoman for the charity told The Leamington Observer: “Simon was referred to our service and we registered him with the council – he won an over 50’s property. He has now moved in, we have helped him set up his bills and made sure he was aware of his income and outgoings as he was very nervous about getting into debt.”

Whilst Simon fell into homelessness after a relationship breakdown, Luka was forced to sleep in public toilets in Warwick after losing his house and job.

Homelessness in Leamington and greater Warwickshire is still very much a topical and urgent issue. Within the 2016 homelessness review Warwick district council states: “The council received 705 applications from people applying as homeless in 2015/16….an increase of 132% on the number received in 2009/10 compared to a 29% increase nationally over the same time period.”

This report also found that cases of homelessness reduction or presentation were well below the number three years previously.

Warwickshire P3 Assistant Director Esther Barrett commented on the work of the organisation: “The team goes out in the early hours of the morning to make contact with people – who often through no fault of their own have found themselves forced to sleep on the streets – and will offer advice and advocacy to help people away from the dangers of rough sleeping as quickly and as safely as possible.

“However, we can’t do it alone. We are calling on the public to contact us if they see someone rough sleeping in Warwickshire, that way enabling us to direct our support to those most in need.”

Other organisations in the area have been also been productive to target the issue this year. At the start of October, the LWS Night Shelter launched their campaign #LeamRocks to raise awareness for the problems faced by homeless people in Leamington Spa.

The LWS Night Shelter was originally set up by two medical students from Warwick University to support the homeless during winter in 2015/16, and is a non-profit organisation run entirely by community volunteers.