Image: WMG

Tramendous plans: WMG developing electric tram to connect with Coventry

Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) have received a £2.5 million grant from the West Midlands Combined Authority to develop a prototype tram, which would connect the University with places such as Birmingham airport, the HS2 terminal by the National Exhibition Centre and the central hub of Coventry.

Whitley’s Jaguar Land Rover headquarters and University Hospital Coventry in Walsgrave are also being considered as potential destinations.

The Very Light Rail (VLR) electric tram system is currently being developed by the WMG has been endorsed by Coventry City councillor and cabinet member, Jim O’Boyle, who said: “A lot of students come in to the city on the train or bus, so it makes a lot of sense having the university linked up with it. And of course WMG are developing the system too, which strengthens the case further.”

WMG is an academic department at Warwick University, which offers postgraduate degrees on campus and internationally as well as providing research and engineering knowledge transfer in the region.The manufacturing group would use its own battery technology to power the driverless rail trams alongside the VLR’s special lightweight tracks.

A rendering of the electric tram prototype. (Image: WMG)

JLR has already expressed interest, as they are expanding and lack the car park capacity they need.

Believing the VLR to be a realistic and deliverable project, O’Boyle added: “If we can develop an alternative world-class public transport system then clearly they are going to be interested.”

Jonathan Browning, chairman of the Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP), stated: “This is an exciting project which underlines Coventry and Warwickshire’s innovative reputation in playing a leading role in the next generation of transport.”

Trams have been present in Coventry before; however, the network was ended by the Coventry Blitz in 1940.

Turning this idea into a reality will be no small feat; UK trams are currently imported with each one costing £3million. However, the huge financial implications have been considered as the system would be designed and built in the UK. Linking the airport and HS2 terminal would also give the project a strong case for government funding.

The first vehicle prototype is set to be tested in Dudley by spring 2019, with Coventry bidding to become the UK City of Culture in 2021. With this investment, WMG plans to test their first vehicle prototype in Dudley by spring 2019. This is particularly timely since Coventry has bid to become the UK City of Culture in 2021.