Image: Warwick Media Library

Warwick slips in new global university rankings

The University of Warwick has slipped five places in the QS World University Rankings for 2018 to 57th place.

Previously ranked joint 51st, Warwick remains 10th in the United Kingdom. The University ranks 24th in the world for employer reputation.

The ranking is calculated through weighted metrics for academic reputation, employer reputation, faculty/ student ratio, citations per faculty, international faculty ratio and international student ratio.

Warwick’s score was bolstered by very high scores for employer reputation at 98.9, and international faculty and student ratio at 98 and 99 respectively. Earlier this year Times Higher Education placed Warwick as one of the most international universities in the world.

In terms of faculty, Warwick was ranked 6th in the UK for Social Sciences (36th in the world), 7th for Arts and Humanities (38th in the world), 9th for Natural Sciences (108th in the world), 12th for Engineering & Technology (125th in the world), and 25th for Life Science & Medicine (222nd in the world).

English Literature and Language were Warwick’s best performing subject at 16th in the world. Other high performers were Statistics (24th), Economics (25th), Business & Management Studies (26th) and History (31st).

Warwick was also the highest ranked university in the region with Birmingham placing 14th in the UK (84th in the world) and Coventry 53rd (placed between 551st and 600th worldwide).

The ranking follows national publications by the Complete University Guide and The Guardian this year which both saw Warwick ranked 8th in the UK.