Image: Dan Ruben

The Jug and Jester has closed down

The Jug and Jester, one of Leamington Spa’s two JD Wetherspoon pubs and a regular spot for Warwick students, has closed down.

No formal announcement was made prior to the pub’s closure, although The Jug and Jester was purchased by pub company Stonegate, who own brands including the Slug and Lettuce, in February.

The property was put up for sale by Wetherspoon in October of last year along with four other pubs.

Thirteen Wetherspoon pubs remain on the market for sale and let, with the portfolio managed by CBRE and Savills.

Eddier Gershon, who represents JD Wetherspoon, has told the Boar that Leamington Spa’s other JD Wetherspoon, The Benjamin Satchwell, will close for a full refurbishment on 2 May and reopen on 20 May.

Rumours have emerged that following renovation the pub will reopen as a new establishment named ‘The Old Library’, although the Boar has not been able to verify this claim as of yet.

The reaction from many students upon discovery of the pub’s closure has been understandably downbeat.

Steph Campbell, a first-year Film Studies student, commented: “The Jug was always a great addition to any bar crawl and a great precursor to Kelsey’s. It will be missed, we’ll raise a pitcher to its memory.”

This article will be updated as the story develops.