Image: Flickr/ Yandle

Elsewhere at Warwick – 09/02/17

This week includes University Challenge, a student on The Chase, ‘Be the Candidate’ sessions, LGBTUA+ History Month and the university’s Real Ale Festival.

Warwick University Challenge team loses in first quarter-final round

Following two successful matches placing them in the quarter-finals, the Warwick University Challenge team were beaten on Monday 30 January by Emmanuel College, Cambridge in their first quarter-final match. The Warwick team were leading for a short time at the start of the match, but were soon overtaken by the Cambridge team who went on to win with 200 points to 90. Warwick still has to compete in a second quarter-final match later in the season, which they will need to win to stay in the running.

Warwick University student appears on ITV Show The Chase

Second-year Maths and Physics student, Katy Pallister, appeared on the ITV television quiz show The Chase on Tuesday 31 January. The episode saw Katy compete alongside three other contestants, Kevin, Jason and Emma, whom she’d never met before, to answer questions for a share in a cash prize. She competed third in the show, managing to amass a £4,000 potential cash prize before being beaten by the Chaser.

‘Be the Candidate’ sessions run for those interested in applying for Sabbatical positions

Warwick’s Students’ Union (SU) is running a series of sessions throughout February, entitled ‘Be the Candidate’, designed to introduce students to SU democracy and the elections process. It is particularly for those interested in applying for Sabbatical Officer positions in the upcoming Officer Elections. The informal discussion sessions are aimed at under-represented groups, including Disabled Students, Ethnic Minorities, International, LGBTUA+, women, and postgraduate students.

LGBTUA+ History Month at Warwick University

LGBTUA+ History Month is being celebrated at the University throughout the month of February, through a series of events coordinated by Warwick Pride. The calendar of event started last week, and included makeup sessions, craft socials and documentary screenings. The month will also include events run by the SU, such as the LGBTUA+ ‘Be the Candidate’ session. The concluding event will be a Trip to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London for an LGBT+ themed tour.

38th Warwick University Real Ale Festival set for reading week
The Real Ale Festival, an annual event, is returning for the 38th time on 16 February to 18 February. The weekend event is hosted by Warwick’s Real Ale Society, and includes over 120 types of beer and 50 different ciders, fruit wines, and world beers. The Festival is open to students and the general public alike, with £3.50 entry.