Image: Flickr/ Ian Halsey

Two WBS academics awarded National Teaching Fellowship

Two academics from Warwick Business School (WBS), Rachel Dickinson and Peter Corvi, have been awarded with National Teaching Fellowships.

Awarded by the Higher Education Academy (HEA), the National Teaching Fellowship is described as “the most prestigious individual award for excellence in teaching in higher education.”

Rachel Dickinson, Principal Teaching Fellow at WBS, has been involved in a number of initiatives including creating the CORE Practice module for first year undergraduates. Ms Dickinson stated to WBS News that the award is “a great honour.”

Matt Parsons, a first-year Law and Business student, who has had first hand experience of the CORE Practice module commented:

“She was extremely energetic and enthusiastic in every lecture. The module was a new experience and definitely pushed me and a lot of other people out of our comfort zones, but ultimately that was a good thing.

“The group participation and projects helped me meet different people on my course and, as well as learning a lot, it was really enjoyable.”

Higher education transforms lives, including my own, and I am very grateful to have the opportunity to play my part in helping others, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, to benefit from a university education.

Professor Peter Corvi

Professor Peter Corvi, Professional Teaching Fellow, has also looked to widen access to WBS with the introduction of a Foundation Year aimed at those from disadvantaged backgrounds. Additionally, he started the Multicultural Scholars’ Programme targeted at students from ethnicities which are underrepresented in higher education.

Professor Corvi told WBS News that he felt very privileged to have been nominated by the University, adding: “Higher education transforms lives, including my own, and I am very grateful to have the opportunity to play my part in helping others, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, to benefit from a university education.”

The National Teaching Fellowship has been awarded since 2000 and is currently presented to 55 lecturers each year across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Professor Corvi and Ms Dickinson will receive £5,000 each to spend on teaching developments as part of the award.

WBS now has four National Teaching Fellows amongst its staff, with Ashley Roberts, Principal Teaching Fellow, and Jonothan Neelands, Professor of Creative Education and Associate Dean of Creativity, having previously received the award.