In Defence of Christmas Films

So it’s that time of year again. Decorations are in store windows, cafés are tempting you with seasonal drinks and people have already started planning for the holidays. Sooner or later, you’ll find yourself contemplating which movie to watch, reluctant to see yet another Christmas film. Yes, these films have a reputation for being clichéd and repetitive; but we still find ourselves rummaging through DVDs or flipping a coin between ‘A Muppet’s Christmas Carol’ (1992) and ‘Love Actually’ (2003) on Netflix.

The generic plot of the protagonist embarking on an emotional – and sometimes even literal –  journey to get back in time for Christmas is a staple of these films. Usually better than a game of charades, Christmas movies are notoriously heart-warming. After having watched countless action films and thrillers, as well as the occasional artsy independent film, we could use a comforting, cheesy Christmas film. I mean, who wants to watch a film with a miserable ending this time of the year? Most people have seen the classics such as ‘Home Alone’ (1990),  ‘Elf(2003), ‘The Polar Express’(2004) and ‘A Christmas Carol’ (2009); maybe even ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ (1946). There are still however some hidden treasures…

The Holiday

Image: Poster of The Holiday/Youtube

The Holiday’ (2006) directed by Nancy Meyers (The Intern) starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack Black, is a good one to watch. Two women, Iris (Kate Winslet) and Amanda (Cameron Diaz), are dissatisfied with their current lives and seek a means of escape. Iris, who writes for a London newspaper, becomes miserable seeing a man she likes become engaged to another woman. Across the Atlantic, Amanda, a movie trailer producer going through a break up seeks a distraction from her heartache.  Using a house-exchange website, they swap homes for the holidays. Each woman trying out  out a whole new lifestyle leads to moments of comedy, confusion, soul-searching and of course, love.

The Velveteen Rabbit

Image: Still from The Velveteen Rabbit/Youtube

If rom-coms aren’t really your scene and you prefer watching something visually interesting, perhaps ‘The Velveteen Rabbit’ (2009) is the right one for you with its live-action and animation cross-over. The film, directed by Michael Landon Jr (Saving Sarah Cain), features Matthew Harbour (Equilibrium) and Jane Seymour (Wedding Crashers). A young boy named Toby is left at his grandmother’s house over the Christmas holidays while his father busies himself with work.  Bored and lonely, Toby finds his father’s old stuffed rabbit from his childhood. Taking part in imaginary games, depicted through animation, Toby encounters trouble in the real and fantasy world, bringing the family closer together.

The Christmas Bunny

The Christmas Bunny’ (2010), directed by Tom Seidman (2Survive) and starring Sophie Bolden (Rodeo Girl), Florence Henderson (Venus & Vegas) and Colby French (Game Change), tells the story of a mute foster child who is taken in by a suburban family hoping to adopt her. On Christmas Eve, she finds an injured rabbit in the woods and with the help of “The Bunny Lady”, she is able to nurse it back to health. In return, she helps the lady on the farm, making her feel a sense of belonging and trust.