Warwick library; Warwick University library
Image: Connor O'Shea / Boar News

SU wants Warwick library to open all night long

The SU has published a report proposing that Warwick library opens 24 hours a day for 50 weeks of the year.

The report will be presented at the University to senior management.

The SU proposes that Warwick library opens for 24 hours a day for 50 weeks a year, since this would also be beneficial for postgraduates during undergraduate holiday time.

This extension of the opening hours would cost the University an extra £250,000 each year.

university house Warwick

The Uni House Learning grid is the only 24/7 study space on campus Image: Warwick Media Library

According to the SU report, a 24 hour library would have numerous benefits. These include creating an all-time accessible academic study space, where students can use books which are not allowed to be borrowed, and have silent spaces for study.

While the Learning Grid in University House is currently open 24/7, it provides limited access to books and does not have silent spaces.

Also, many students experience overcrowding during day openings, and there is only enough desk space on campus for one in eight students to study simultaneously, as the Boar recently reported.

The campaign for a 24h library was launched in 2014, however, the University still have not confirmed this extended opening.

Following an All Student Meeting (ASM) that year, Warwick students overwhelmingly voted in favour of a 24/7 library, and it was the highest-ever turnout at an ASM.

One student commented: “I really wish that the library would be open 24/7, because I can’t concentrate in my flat, especially when flatmates are partying, and I like to separate private life and uni work.”

However, another student told the Boar: “I don’t want to study in the middle of the night because I am often too tired and I don’t feel safe walking home too late.”

Currently, the library is open until midnight in term one and two, and 24h a day in term three. The SU has also recently forwarded plans to build a second Warwick library.