Image: Flickr/ Joe Turco

Tête-à-tête: are safaris a waste of time?

[dropcap]N[/dropcap]icole Paling: I’m the first person to admit that I’m not exactly a big fan of animals so I would’ve thought I’d be the last person to enjoy a safari.

Despite this, I’ve been on two safaris: one in Zambia, and one in Masai Mara, a huge national park in Kenya, one of the most popular destinations for safaris worldwide, and they were both incredible experiences I’ll never forget.

I can see why a safari isn’t the first student holiday choice. Safaris are undeniably expensive, and many people might say that a day trip to the zoo or a safari park in this country is just as good as the real thing.

I also sympathise with anyone who has been forced to sit and look through someone else’s safari pictures. This is an experience which is almost as bad as looking at endless pictures of a fireworks display. There are, after all, only so many photos of lions you can take before they all start looking identical.

Actually experiencing a safari for yourself though is a completely different matter. As clichéd as it sounds, there is something spectacular about going on a game drive ridiculously early in the morning and seeing these incredible animals in their natural habitat. You don’t need to be David Attenborough to appreciate just how amazing these animals are in real life.

There is something spectacular about… seeing these incredible animals in their natural habitat. 

I’ve seen a family of six elephants crossing a river up close which was an amazing experience, and one which I’ll never have again. In a slightly terrifying turn of events, we were also allowed to get out of the truck (when the guide told us it was safe) and go right to the edge of a lake containing hippos and crocodiles.

It’s hard not to feel adventurous after that. The ultimate highlight of my safari experience was seeing hundreds of zebras following each other in lines during their seasonal migration from Tanzania. All of these things were part of an amazing and unique experience that was worth the expense.

Admittedly, after you’ve seen hundreds of zebras in one three hour trip, it does feel like you’ve seen them all. And I think that’s the thing with safaris, it’s a bit like going to the zoo. At the end of the day they’re all pretty similar, but you still enjoy going all the same. I’d definitely say going on a safari is a great, worthwhile experience, and something to tick off your travel bucket list.

[dropcap]R[/dropcap]eece Goodall: I’m a guy who likes to experience new things whenever I go on holiday – what’s the point of travelling if you just experience the same things all the time, and never open your mind? That being said, one thing that I have never seen the attraction in is the idea of going on safari. In case you’re unfamiliar with the premise (really?), going on safari sees you being shipped off to a hot African country ready to see some animals.

When you imagine it, you want to see a camouflaged jeep being driven by an exciting tour guide who recounts tales of his past exploits as he leads you from creature to creature. A gripping adventure, from start to finish, that leaves you crying out for more. But, as romantic an idea as that is, it is rarely the case.

For a start, most safaris require you to get injections before you go, which is never the sign of a good holiday– it’s pretty much a cosmic way of telling you not to go. They cost a bomb – you’re looking at a minimum of £2500 for a week, and it doesn’t necessarily ensure a good experience in the slightest.

Out on the trail, it’s stupidly hot and stuffy, often in cramped spaces, as you drive off to see a buffalo. In fact, let’s talk about the animals. If we’re frank, animals are really boring, and you’re by no means guaranteed to even see them.

Out on the trail, it’s stupidly hot and stuffy, often in cramped spaces, as you drive off to see a buffalo.

You book a holiday to Pisa, you’re gonna see a Leaning Tower. But you head off on safari, the animals could be having an off-day. You’ve paid two and a half grand, and you’re stuck looking at marula trees and savannah – don’t you feel stupid?

What’s so great about getting near them, too? Most animals are boring – wow, a rhino is standing near some water. Isn’t that a humdinger? There’s something I couldn’t have enjoyed seeing in a picture on the plane to somewhere better.

Driving around next to lions that could just as easily pounce and rip your face off – sure, zoos are great, but they don’t have nearly enough jeopardy to be fulfilling. On the whole, though, I’d fully recommend you give them a miss