Image: Wikimedia Commons

Yik Yak user gives free pizza

By
Feb. 6, 2016
Posted in News

On the night of the 30th of January, residents of Jack Martin 4 were graced with a strange sight. Ben Taylor, a first-year Economics student, clambered up a tree with nothing more than socks and a pair of boxers.

But this was not the typical act of drunken foolishness. Rather, it was a manifestation of his shock at the generosity of Warwick students.

That night, his flat-mate Matt had complained on Yik Yak about the fact that he couldn’t afford to order pizza.

Soon after, he received a reply from the user “Green Acorn”, asking for his address and vowing to order some pizza for him. Green Acorn had been offered a job that day and wanted to spread the goodwill.

Matt gave his address, despite having little faith in the anonymous’ promise.

A Papa John’s deliveryman was arrived on campus half an hour later carrying a Chicken Club pizza and garlic bread.

Ben, who was highly skeptical from the start, had promised to climb a tree naked if the free pizza did arrive.

Green Acorn was lauded as a Yik Yak hero. One enthusiastic yakker even bestowed on him the title of “Archbishop of Koanterbury 2016”. Nonetheless, he refused to reveal his identity.

This show of selflessness was a truly redemptive moment for an app characterized by snarky comments and spiteful remarks.