The Sisterhood being performed at Belgrade Theatre, Coventry

‘The Sisterhood’: “This used to be a home. Now it’s a College.”

Love, marriage, and education are certainly topics which are significant. They are also the main themes in The Sisterhood, the latest play presented by the Belgrade Theatre, Coventry.
The show tells the story of a family that is quarrelling and at odds. One of the daughters, Henriette (Vanessa Schofield), who’s supported by her father (Peter Temple), wants to marry the man she loves, but her mother (Julia Watson), her aunt (Joanna Roth), and her sister Armande (Katherine Manners) have another man in mind for her, whom they believe to be more intellectual.

Based on Molière’s Les Femmes Savantes, which is originally set in the 17th century, the Belgrade Theatre and its Artistic Director, Hamish Glen, stage the play in a modern production relocated in the late 1980s.

a crime far worse than stealing: Being uneducated and having bad grammar

This is mirrored in the fashion, and especially the music, which accompanies the play between the scenes, and creates an authentic 80s atmosphere.

All the actors play their roles brilliantly, but Temple’s performance as Henriette’s father, Chrysale was particularly outstanding and receiving numerous laughs. His comical portrayal of Chrysale shows a man divided by his wish to have his own way and obeying his domineering intellectual wife Philaminte. As Chrysale complains: “This used to be a home. Now it’s a College.”

Another remarkable act came from the servant Marine, played by Miriam Edwards, who was fired by Philaminte for a crime far worse than stealing: Being uneducated and having bad grammar.

the subjects love and marriage are timeless

Manners was also noteworthy, playing Armande, who’s jealous of her sister, because her fiancé once wanted to marry Armande, although she refused him in favour of learning. In particular, the fact that she would never admit her jealousy is extremely humorous.
Molière’s famous for his satires, and Les Femmes Savantes, meaning “the learned ladies”, was one of his most popular comedies when it premiered in 1672. The Belgrade Theatre presents a witty, modern production of the play, translated and adapted by Ranjit Bolt in 1987. This fresh twist works perfectly, and demonstrates that the subjects love and marriage are timeless.

The Sisterhood is shown in the Belgrade Theatre, Coventry, until Saturday 20 February. Tickets are from £11.25; concessions start from £8.70.