Football Manager 2016 Review

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]f FIFA is for the inner lad in you, then Football Manager is for your inner junior accountant. This may sound deathly dull, yet I love it, spreadsheets and all. The 2016 edition is a massive upgrade when compared to last few outings, showing a clear progression rather than the usual few superficial tweaks which made up the last few editions. The game has been refined, but at the same time there are a few features to keep even the most experienced player interested.
[divider]

Upon booting up, you’re faced with an array of leagues and teams to pick from, whether you want to start from the top or the absolute bottom. I decided this year to avoid taking my beloved Newcastle United to Premier League glory and gave myself a bit of challenge, opting to manage my local team, Gateshead, currently in the 5th division of English Football, to see what I could do with them. After back to back promotions I’m now in League 1 and can’t get enough. That’s the joy of Football Manager, you set your own challenges and the game becomes what you make of it.

Whether you want to go for instant glory and pick a big team, or go for an obscure team from a nation you’ve never been to, it’s all up to you. Even the way that you play is your choice, whether you prefer focusing on tactics or scouting for the next Messi.

If FIFA is for the inner lad in you, the Football Manager is for is for your inner junior accountant

FM16 adds a few other interesting new features. The create-a-club mode, formerly made possible using a rather fiddly editor, has now been incorporated into the main game, making it much easier and more intuitive. Whether you want to include your local team, or add your mates to the premier league, the new mode allows this.

The other major new feature is a draft system similar to the NFL. This is a multiplayer only mode currently, where you create a league online, get a set amount of money and build a team. Despite this simple concept it’s endlessly engaging, focusing on who can pick the best team.

If, like me, you’re a bit sad, you’ll have fun simply scouring the game’s database. This database is so good that real clubs use it, with over 100,000 real life players included. It’s always interesting to see how these players develop, and whether they become as successful in real life. It’s always great finding an undiscovered gem from the Balkans who leads you to victory against a Premiere League team. In this way Football Manager provides a sense of accomplishment that’s unique and unrivalled by any other game.

FM16 provides what any fan of the series wants, but also gives them something a bit extra. I would also recommend it to anybody who hasn’t played any of the earlier games. If you’re interested in football you’ll get the excitement of managing your favourite team and players, and even if you’re not, you might still get a kick out of the game; whether it’s nurturing a player to become a world beater and developing a backstory for yourself. Football Manager 2016, although seemingly just a straight-forward management sim, can become a unique, genre-transcending game when given the chance. It’s a game filled with potential, but it’s up to you to get your money’s worth.
[divider_top]

new_twitter_logoFIFA or Football Manager? Let us know your choice @boargames