#BUCSWednesday Notepad: Week 8

Week eight. The days are getting colder, deadlines are looming, but BUCS carries on regardless. Campus was teeming with sporting activity, from the relative warmth of the sports hall to the men and women hurling themselves around the Cryfield and Westwood pitches. Thrashing Coventry was the order of the day, with both the Women’s Football and Men’s Squash teams inflicting painful defeats on our Varsity rivals. On another busy #BUCSWednesday, there were sporting stories all over campus. So without further ado, let’s begin our whistle-stop tour of this week’s action.

Results at a glance

17 Wins, 14 Losses, 1 Draw, 1 Cancelled

Game of The Week

Women’s Basketball 1s 57-28 Derby 1s

Sunday League Football comes to Cryfield

Warwick football had an exceptional day at Cryfield, with the Womens 1s triumphing 5-2 in El Covico while the Mens 2s produced a brilliant display to overcome Birmingham 2s 3-2, meaning that both sides progressed through to the next round of the BUCS cup. Aside from the heroic victories, the 2 games brought a whole host of fantastically Sunday league shouts. Overheard was a call of “it’s still 0-0” as Warwick womens took the lead in their game, while in the mens’, injuries were greeted with confrontation after confrontation between the opposing sides. A personal favourite had to be from the left back of the Birmingham 2s however, whose call of “I couldn’t have done that any cleaner” having taken the Warwick man out with studs up from behind surely topped the lot.

12305752_10205462174421491_1613477446_n

Strange fashion choices overshadow Ladies’ Hockey win

Another dominant display from the Ladies’ Hockey 1s brought them a comfortable victory against UEA 1s. Fortress Westwood remained imperious as the side progressed into the next round of the cup, led successfully by an ever vocal coach. Wearing a full green and orange outfit, complete with luminous orange cap, his outfit was only to be better by UEA, whose decision to wear their social shirts complete with nicknames and club roles mystified the Warwick bench.

12305593_10205462174381490_1577850984_n
Beaten by mind games – or just poor timekeeping?
Warwick Rugby League were forced into a very drawn out warm up by their opponents Oxford 2s, who arrived almost half an hour late for their Cryfield clash. At the time this was assumed to be down to poor timekeeping – but it may actually have been the most effective mind game in BUCS history. Warwick were again kept waiting as Oxford went through their pre-match routine; fuelling suspicions of a plan to catch the home side off guard. Sure enough, within seconds of kick off the visitors burst through to score, and sadly this set the tone for the afternoon. Warwick eventually slipped to a 6-30 defeat, all stemming from mind games that Sir Alex Ferguson himself would have been proud of.
12312301_10201062578842942_364668042_n
A day to remember for Warwick Squash
With the Men’s 1s, 2s and 3s all at home it was an important day for Warwick Squash. It proved to be a successful one too, as all three teams put their opponents to the sword. A special mention goes to the 3s, who conceded just 16 points between all three players in an annihilation of the eternal rivals, Coventry. Warwick’s victory was so swift that the two teams spent longer warming up than they did playing.
12312429_10201062578282928_1749710428_n