Photo: Natesh Ramasamy/Flickr

Just do it – why students should volunteer

[dropcap]R[/dropcap]AG week is finally upon us, which means it’s time for the awkward lap dancers invading your lectures, among other things. As fun as it is to “gnome” your best friends, we could also be using this week to consider doing more for communities and causes that we feel passionate about.

I was always too self-centred and “busy” to be involved in any sort of volunteering until my second year, when I became involved in the Friends of Palestine society. This small step somehow snowballed to the point where I spent summer volunteering in the West Bank, doing things I had never even dreamed of.

I split the majority of my time between working for an NGO and helping on a farm, and I also worked for a music festival which was held in the historic centre of Bethlehem.

I took something different from each experience, but I was also exposed to people from all walks of life.

That’s one benefit of being a volunteer: you get to meet some amazing people. Often, it’s the case that these people have similar views and interests to you as well. At the same time, while you may all being working towards a common goal, each person brings something new to the table.

Importantly, people that volunteer actually want to be there. This means that the people you come across are friendly and want to make the most of the opportunity.

Volunteering is a chance to show off and develop your talents. Keen bakers can show off their skills with a bake sale and if you’re a musician then you can hold a charity gig and have a fun night with your mates in aid of a worthwhile cause.

I also find that just by getting out there and being willing to try new things you’ll discover new talents and interests – I never thought I would be any good at milking a camel or harvesting figs but it turns out I actually enjoy doing it! Even better is the impact it will have on your career.

Employers will be keen to know what transferrable skills you have gained from your experiences, and shows that you’re an interesting and well-rounded person who doesn’t just look out for themselves.

I’ve found that since my trip in the summer, people have asked me to be involved with projects at Warwick. Friends have also recommended placement opportunities to me that I would never have heard about otherwise – volunteering really does open doors!

There’s a stigma that volunteering is just a way to combat a middle-class guilt that so many university students harbour – but do we really have to be so cynical about everything? You’re probably not going to change the world.

However, there are so many societies and organisations that you can get involved with to help make the world just that little bit brighter. So get out there and embrace the spirit of RAG Week by volunteering. Utilise your skills, discover new interests and make new friends in the process!