Warwick SU
Image: Warwick SU / Facebook

A “healthy show for SU democracy”: ASM turnout hits 4 percent

4 percent of the student body voted in the Term 1 annual student meeting (ASM) between 17 and 20 November, which saw a record 11 motions tabled and passed. 

1014 students voted out of a possible 23,570.

Motions included erasmus fees, defining free education and supporting junior doctors.

One motion passed was the Counter Terrorism and Security Act, as tabled by Safrina Ahmed. With 386 students (1.6 percent of the student body) voting in favour, it was the closest run campaign, with 193 opposing the motion.

In comparison, recorded lectures motion passed with 784 votes (3.3 percent of the student body). 59 voted against.

The motion demanded that “all lectures [should] be recorded and made available online”, an idea that has previously arisen, with the previous Postgraduate Officer, Andrew Thompson, believing that it “crucially supports those with disabilities, as well as those whose first language is not English.”

“When it comes to revision time as well, it can only benefit everyone”.

The Democracy and Development Officer, Olly Rice, has hailed the results as a “healthy show for SU Democracy” as well as praising the results as a “ solid vindication for the campaigning that went into supporting these motions”.

Further praising student engagement, Olly commented on the record 11 ASM motions tabled and now passed, “signalling a sustained higher level of student engagement”.

Jennie Watkin, a third-year Classics student, was less convinced that there was a higher level of student engagement.

She noted that “4 percent is pathetic! How can an SU been legitimately mandated to speak for the student body on such a poor performance.

“Surely there needs to be some threshold to allow the SU to truly represent us”.

Third-year MORSE student Aneesha Mahil questioned just how representative the SU is and whether it really “speaks for her”, adding that “if the SU engaged with policies that students really cared about, maybe the student turnout might increase?

“There is clearly something wrong if engagement is this low”.

Third-year English Literature student Dani Sharp thinks otherwise. “If only four percent of students turnout to vote, then they only have themselves to blame if they disagree with policies.

A student wishing to remain anonymous said “who cares about the fucking SU”.