Photo: flickr/WMG Warwick

Warwick University and China in research partnership

Warwick have recently announced their partnership with Sun Yat-sen University in China.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed on 21 October between the two universities,
creating a research partnership focusing on the diagnosis and specialist care of cancer.

The MoU wassigned by Professor Lawrence Young (pro-vice-chancellor at Warwick) and Professor Chao-Nan Qian (vice president at the Cancer Centre at Sun Yat-sen) at Mansion house in London.

There are several specific areas that the research will focus on, including: nursing, digital pathology, anti-cancer drug development, as well as systems biology and precision medicine.

Professor Lawrence Young commented: “We are delighted to be consolidating our collaboration with the Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Centre (SYSUCC) by signing this agreement today.

“Working together to train future cancer specialists and to develop new anti-cancer treatments will significantly advance our mutual ambition to bring benefit to cancer patients in both China and the UK.”

This represents a milestone in the interaction between our two institutions and demonstrates the mutual benefit of our partnership.”
Professor Lawrence Young

The memorandum will allow the training of SYSUCC senior oncology nurses at the University of
Warwick, along with the training for SYSUCC pathologists at Warwick and University Hospital
Coventry and Warwickshire too.

The two universities have worked together previously, initiating various developments such as a
research programme to develop anti-cancer drugs for a highly prevalent cancer in southern China.

This collaboration has also attracted support from the Royal Society National Science Foundation
who are aiding the development of new anti-cancer drugs.