Ink is inspirational at Leamington exhibition ‘Inked Palette’

‘Inked Palette’ is a tattoo artists’ exhibition running in Leamington Spa until 20 October and the work on display is a testament to the pure talent these true artists hold. The concept of not only having to produce evocative work in various mediums but then having to transfer that work onto skin is what takes tattoo artists to the next level.

Mutual organisers Inkluded and Deasil Art stressed the importance of what the exhibition was attempting to achieve that previous tattoo exhibitions had not, ‘Art should be free to access it should bring people together and should always remain fresh and inspiring.’ This is a brilliant belief and one that held true to the exhibition.

As someone not totally educated on tattoos I was amazed and surprised at the immense quality of the designs, making me question how so many people have such dubious designs plastered across themselves without a seconds thought for artistic expression, which is what a tattoo completely symbolises, one’s personal expression.

University is the perfect time to get a tattoo without the looming eye of parents, but just make sure you do your research and see the beauty of what’s out there. There was a woman getting a tattoo live in front of me at the launch of the exhibition. It was her first tattoo and despite initial feelings being reminiscent to the chair being lowered at the dentist her reactions weren’t as bad as I expected once the artist began.

From incredibly realistic inked faces, comic and cartoon to sculpture and tentative animal sketches there were a host of mediums and subject areas. My personal favourite were a selection of bank notes hosting as canvases to various scenes by Shaun von Sleaze which would set you back £315 each. Another that stood out was a gruesome and graphic heart with a dagger through its centre. This exhibition is not short of vibrancy, capturing movement and life in the work displayed. The venue chosen, The Warehouse on Oxford Street, was a good, intimate space to display these works.

I spoke to participating tattoo artist David Brace who has been in the industry for over 9 years, about what makes tattoo artists work different. ‘Everything I paint or draw now is tattooable it’s natural to me. Everything I’ve done is with a tattoo technique whether it be etching or sculpture, everything is transferable.’ He went onto comment about the transferability onto skin and how different mediums vary, ‘Watercolour is harder to transfer into tattoo as colours will dim down, as if wearing a pair of sunglasses, and go a shade darker so it shows through the skin layer.’ The technicality of the art form amazed me as I found myself appreciating the true artistic talent in the room. David confirmed this feeling saying, ‘we are artist before we are tattooist, it stems from creativity.’

David Brace speaking to our Arts Editor Sophie

We also discussed how the decline in the stigma around tattoos being seen as rough or untidy has allowed many more people to express themselves by putting ink to skin. Seeing the artwork caused any stigma at all to be wiped from my beliefs as David explained the freedom behind the work. ‘If you’re not violent you’re an artist, it’s your way of expression. It is the best form of expression as you can be as violent as you like, or as girly as you like if you’re a man.’

The room was saturated with inspiring works for artists, tattoo enthusiasts and other creative minds. Whether you’re thinking of getting a tattoo or not ‘Inked Palette’ is stimulating and quirky proving that a tattoo can be an art form at its most expressive. I have to say I am contemplating putting ink to skin having seen the art form in a new light.

The exhibition will run with free entry at The Warehouse in Leamington Spa until 20 October. Visit the website for more details http://inkluded.co.uk/2015/07/16/inkedpalette/.