Freshers’ flashback: a sporting letter to my first year self

‘Okay Ralph, enjoy your first term, don’t drink too much!’ SLAM! The rickety door on my military barrack style room in Rootes H-block swung shut on moving-in day at Warwick Freshers’ Week 2013. The first few days are always the most difficult for anyone. You get thrown into a flat with 15 other people whom you’ve never met. You’re praying they share your interests, humour, and above all your respect for the ‘don’t leave skidmarks in the toilet’ rule you religiously adhere to. I survived my early days as a fresher, and those first few awkwardly pleasant conversations with my new flat mates flew by. But I knew I was never going to confine myself to my halls of residence, so I set out to test the waters of the university sporting world.

I’ve always been a sporty bloke, I’d played hockey to a decent level at school and wanted to carry it on at uni. Luckily, sport is such a big part of life at Warwick that you’d do well to not get involved. Freshers’ week was awash with clubs and societies handing out leaflets in addition to gimmicks in fresher kitchens and even in lecture theatres in order to promote their reputations, culminating in the Sports Fair on the first Tuesday of term. I was ushered into a bustling Sports Centre, surrounded by more sports than I knew existed. After making a beeline for the Men’s Hockey stand I got chatting to a few current club members, gave them my details, and went to the trial session the following day.  After a relaxed run around, I got talking to other freshers and was relieved to meet more people in the same boat as me, some of who are now my closest friends. Somewhere through the grapevine we’d heard that Wednesday night was a must for a fresher looking for a good laugh. I grabbed a spare ticket to what’s called ‘circle’, the biggest night of the week taking place in the SU. Safe to say, after an enjoyable night of tipsy indiscretion (understatement of the year) with Men’s Hockey. I haven’t looked back since. 60 competitive fixtures, 70 socials, 4 domestic and international tours and 2 years later, I’ve loved every minute of it.

Somewhere through the grapevine we’d heard that Wednesday night was a must for a fresher looking for a good laugh. I grabbed a spare ticket to what’s called ‘circle’, the biggest night of the week taking place in the SU

That’s the story of how I joined one of Warwick’s major sports clubs. Inevitably, not all of you are the same. But the good thing about Warwick is there are so many clubs on offer, that one is bound to suit you. When choosing a club it’s key to strike the right balance between the standard/intensity of sport you’re looking to play and the social side of that club.

It’s always a bit nerve wrecking trying out a new club when you don’t know anyone in it! But fear not, every club puts on socials throughout the year (mostly Wednesday nights at the SU), so there are many opportunities to get involved. If you’re interested in a club, just drop the Social Sec an email or Facebook message (details can be found on club websites) and they’ll tell you more about the socials their club offer. If you fancy it, give it a go and see if it’s right for you, if not then no harm done! You can even take a mate if you’re worried about flying solo.

I knew I was never going to confine myself to my halls of residence, so I set out to test the waters of the university sporting world.

As a fresher I’d have massively regretted not joining a club, they’re a fantastic way to keep fit, meet new friends, and to get that bit extra out of your time at Warwick. Let’s face it, if you’re doing humanities, what else are you going to be doing with all that free time?!