Photo: Flickr/ Kryziz Bonny

Romeo and Juliet broadcast to the piazza

Kenneth MacMillan’s ballet production of Romeo and Juliet was screened live on the Piazza for members of the public on Tuesday 22 September.

The viewing, which was free of charge, was the first ever broadcast from the Royal Opera House (ROH) at a university, as well as being the only screening in the Midlands.

Performed live by the Royal Ballet, Romeo and Juliet was screened as part of ROH’s attempts to draw a wider audience to ballet and opera.

The broadcast took place in 21 locations around the country. Such viewings are becoming increasingly popular, with 47,000 people watching ROH performances on big screens in 2014.

This was a return to stage for the production, which was first staged  50 years ago. It was already suited to the screen since Kenneth MacMillan was known to be a film lover, and his choreography naturally had a cinematic style.

Lady Deborah MacMillan, Mr MacMillan’s wife, described him as “a complete movie-nut”, adding: “He also believed in creating real characters with real stories, and in a ballet such as Romeo and Juliet the heartbreak and passion will be all the more evident up-close and personal.”

Alexa Tamsett, the outgoing Royal Ballet student ambassador at Warwick, saw this performance as a real opportunity for the public to discover the excitement and beauty of opera and ballet.

Alexa said: “Putting performances such as these in the middle of our campus shows that the Royal Opera House and the University have faith in the students to respond to these performances. It’s also another great chance for students to get together, have a few drinks and see some art.

“By engaging young viewers and inspiring future composers, choreographers, dancers, singers, costume designers, conductors, etc. the Royal Opera House creates an exciting future for opera and ballet as constantly evolving art forms.”

Imogen Billings, a second-year Law student, agreed with this sentiment and added: “It’s a good way of introducing ballet to people who haven’t seen a professional performance.

“I imagine some people could simply not afford to go normally, or wouldn’t want to spend so much on something they don’t know a lot about.”