Image: blackzack00/Flickr

Pop-feminism is all privilege and perfection

[dropcap]W[/dropcap]hat is feminism? The most simple answer is that feminism is a political movement and ideology demanding equal rights for men and women, in every respect. However, feminism has transformed and today’s feminism also includes defending minority rights. There are multiple types of feminists; third wave, pro-sex or pop-feminists to name a few. While most women and men support equality for both sexes, as well as for ethnic minorities and LGBTs, there are many people who avoid calling themselves feminists. The reason being that feminism has come to be associated with either man-hating lesbians or a movement only privileging white middle-class women.

The “free the nipple” movement is declaring that since men are allowed to go topless in public women should too. It also calls for a de-sexualization of breasts, arguing that they serve other purposes and are not inherently sexual. One of the main reasons for the start of the movement was the censorship of photos of mothers breast-feeding on Facebook and Instagram. Additionally the media, when displaying a female body, either sexualises or censors it.

If a man’s nipples are not considered sexual, why should a woman’s be considered sexual and inappropriate?

In theory, this does sound fair – if men are allowed to do something, then women should be allowed to do it too. However, this movement seems to contains many contradictions and is in some ways problematic. When the movement first came into action, Facebook and Instagram were filled with images of topless women. Celebrities such as Cara Delevingne and Miley Cyrus also joined the mix declaring their alliance to the movement. However, what all these supporters had in common was that they had perfect bodies, and perfect breasts.

It occurred to me that many of those supporting this pop-feminist movement were doing it because they were brave enough to bare.

Therefore, a movement like this can marginalize those who do not have perfect bodies, and become one that once again damages body image. Furthemore, while it is a movement demanding equality and de-sexualization of the breasts, it may just do the opposite. Isn’t this movement just giving men what they want? To see topless women everywhere they go. If women start going topless I do not think this will result in a de-sexualization of the breasts or true equality being achieved. Even if it is possible to desexualize the breast, it will be decades upon decades for this movement to succeed.

What is most problematic is that this movement only benefits a small privileged group of women, mostly white and middle or upper class, who have achieved equality in most other aspects of life and now have the luxury of demanding to ‘free their nipples’.

There are so many problems facing women that require more urgency and action than having the right to bare breasts. Equality has not yet been achieved, women still do not have completely equal pay, and double standards still exist – even in the West. Many women in the third world have no rights and are even subjected to the most brutal of crimes. ‘Honor killings’ and acid throwing are still a common practice in some parts of the world, ignorance still runs rampant, rape is often still blamed on the victim… the list goes on.

For me, the “free the nipple” movement is an in-vogue, pop-feminist movement that, in theory, seems like a good idea. But is in many ways problematic, and only benefits a small group of women. As a famous quote states: “If your feminism isn’t fat-positive, anti-racist, trans-inclusive, pro-choice, challenging ableism, against classism then who is it even for?”

• There are so many things wrong with this and some very outdated ideas here.
    There is a bit of an image problem with a lack of diversity among supporters of topfree equality. However it should be said that the Free the Nipple movie actually made it a point to have a diverse cast of women, and we gotta give them props for that.
    In any case though, every single woman faces discrimination when it comes to topfree laws. Regardless of how attractive you are, you can still get arrested even in states where it’s legal to go topfree. And you’ll still get censored in the media and all over the place. So it’s not as if “pretty” women are fighting for a right they already have because that is not the case. It affects ALL women.
    “Aren’t we just giving men what they want?” Um, no. See this is the big problem with sexuality and patriarchy in our society – everything is defined in terms of what heterosexual men do or don’t want. No woman can prevent another person from looking at them in a sexual way. But we CAN teach people how to behave respectfully toward women and other human beings. I just wrote about this recently: http://youngnaturistsamerica.com/clothed-naked-online-women-still-not-asking-for-it/
    And then the argument that there are “so many other important problems” is beyond stupid. It’s failing to recognize how a lot of feminist issues intersect, and it is a HUGE waste of time for feminists to argue about which issues are more important. There are no small issues when it comes to gender equality. There are only issues. There is value in fighting for equality on every level.